Butchering for dog food - tools used

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Feb232010020.jpg

Poultry shears and a filleting knife (for fish). both are sharp. Fillet knife usually not needed for doing dog food rabbits.

Feb232010021.jpg

clean hot water bucket. Imperative in the winter!!!! warm those hands!!!

Feb232010023.jpg

Cold water bucket for rinsing off bunnies.

Feb232010025.jpg

my splatter towel and blood catch bucket.

Feb232010024.jpg

Resting blanket. Covers my work area and keeps dust away and residual blood contained.

Feb232010026.jpg

A postal scale. Takes accurate pounds/ounces measurements. Pad of paper and pencil for noting weights for sending to buyer.

I did not take a picture of my ziploc bags and sharpie marker. I figured everyone would know what freezer bags and a sharpie marker look like. One per rabbit... large for over three pound rabbits, mediums for anything under three pounds. Plus if needed smaller bags for intestines (if bagging separately).

very nice--here is my list:

titanium kitchen shears ($12 at williams sonoma)
dog nail clippers (cutting off paws)
broken pitchfork handle (broomsticking)
plastic tub for cooldown

I average 10 start to bagging

dog nail clippers .... big enough to cut off paws?
I want to see those!

Do you find that the pitchfork handle...does it leave a lot of bruising?

my mom-in-law asked me one year....what do you want for Christmas?
I said... poultry shears.
Whatever for?
Mom....don't ask. :)

She didn't.
she did say...take good care of them, they weren't cheap!

She will NOT tell me where she got them.
I do know she went to a specialty Kitchen shop.

I also know that you can buy poultry shears at Lee Valley Tools for $23.50. I got a back up pair for the kitchen use only. They are nice too. Not sure if they are as excellent as these black handled ones. made by henckel/zwilling.

I have a pair of pruning shears that I was using for trimming the goats' hooves, but they have been demoted to cutting off paws, since I got a proper pair of hoof trimmers. They work pretty well.

I also have a very nice filleting knife that I found (in a travel trailer that was given to us) and I did have a Buck skinning knife with a gut hook, but one of the dogs ate the handle off of it, when DH used it and left it where she could get at it. :evil: I'll have to ask my brother, who does woodworking, if he can make me a new handle.

I will get you a shot of the toe trimmers, the pitchfolk handle did leave little more bruising than I like. Frankly, I would really prefer a guillotine: clean, quick, no bruising around neck. Might have to invent one.

We have two pairs of shears, the Lee Valley and the Henckels. At first DH said they both worked great so he though why pay so much for the Henckels? But now after using them for a little while he does not like the Lee Valley and would not get another pair. I don't use them so I can't give an opinion. He really likes the Henckels and thinks they were worth the money.

Back