"but your rabbit HAS to have a companion rabbit"

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I see breeders around me to do this.

Insisting that their rabbits need to be sold in pairs so they won't be lonely.
Selling buck/buck pairs, doe/doe pairs and frequently buck/doe pairs (from the same litter).

It irritates me to no end and I just want to educate people (and shake others).

Now granted, I've sold "pairs of rabbits". usually same gender, but not always but when I do so I make it VERY clear that the any combination of rabbit can bond to each other, that they will go through a scuffling period that is easily resolved by adding more space to the cage (aka doubling it) and adding toys/hiding spots. and that sometimes certain rabbit combinations simply don't work into adulthood. AND if it is an opposite gender pair that they must keep them separate past 3 months of age so they don't get babies.

BUT it just bugs me to no end when people sell those combinations and don't inform "joe, new rabbit owner" that you can't just stick them in the same small cage and expect them to get along once they mature. Particularly given that most rabbits are housed in plastic bottomed cages.

So those of you who sell to the pet public, what do you do when joe rabbit person comes to you and says...I want two because I've been told that rabbits HAVE TO have a companion rabbit?

but how do you stop yourself from approaching the breeders who perpetuate this thinking?

They irritate me enough that I just AHH!!
But then again... it the what seems to me deliberate attempt to sell more of their "stock" by misrepresenting the truth is what irritates me.

When I was just starting out with rabbits I had three sibling bucks caged together. They were in my biggest cage and were perfectly happy together. Whenever I would go into my rabbitry they would be playing in their cage or grooming each other. Then I came in one day and the two lesser quality ones had killed the show quality one. They were 5 1/2 months old and had never shown any aggression towards each other. Ever since then I have caged all of my rabbits separately except for my does and litters and just weaned littermates. That's the safest thing to do and the rabbits have always been happy with it.

Emily

The pet rabbit that I had years ago was just fine by his/her self. I still have no idea if it was male or female. I had it for six years, it had the run of the house and it quite frequently did laps through the kitchen/livingroom/hallway "racetrack" and jumped around all over the place like it was having fun. I guess I was it's companion rabbit!

I'd simply say, "Baloney, if you are getting it as a pet you are all the company it needs unless you work more hours than you spend at home." Give them toys to keep them occupied when you're not around. Rabbits do spend time grooming and socializing but not 24 hours a day. They also like some alone time.

Yes I think you would have to write a letter to all the rabbits to tell them they "need" a companion. Haha They are ani-mules after all and don't think in "human " terms. However I think that people do this because they are unwilling to spend more time with their rabbits and substitute another rabbit for that.

Yes,
your rabbit does have to have a companion!
For about five minutes or less while they are breeding.

Rabbits [IMPO] are quite comfortable living in their own cage
and having YOU, their owner visiting them when you have the time.
They appreciate the fact that they are fed and well cared for
but also crave their alone time.
Ladysown you are quite correct in your thinking.
There are many "breeders"? that will do anything and
sell anything to make an extra $$$Buck$$$!
I have run into more than a few in my trips around the block,
and I have been around the block more than once or twice.
It is detrimental to ALL breeders and the rabbit industry in general.
All we can do: Is try to correct the mistakes that were made
as we get around to the matter.
I feel your strife!
Dennis, C.V.R.

I really love that I have come to this forum. It has helped me attain a strong education into how to do this properly. Because of you all, I know that I want to be a responsible breeder and hw to do that.
I've been working on a care packet to send with my rabbits (i don't even have any knocked up yet :) )

any prescription liek that makes me crazy - sure if you have a companion rabbit and you work and party long hours your rabbit may appreciate company - but it can be housed quite seperately

Puff lives alone - and spent last week on his own. He was so excited to see the colony arrive back alongside him last night - he spent ages just sitting up watching them ... it was very cute but he isn't getting a jw of his own - no way no how ;)

I dont ussually like to rant but on a different rabbit related website I was on, there was a lady talking about her first ever rabbit she just got I scrolled down to wish her luck but stopped when I saw that some one had commented saying how cute the rabbit was but to get it a freind soon before it got too sad and depressed............I tryed to correct the faulty information but soon had about 5 more people saying how they knew that rabbits HAVE to have a cage mate or another rabbit with them or else theyll pretty much die (EVEN THOUGH THEY DONT OWN RABBITS AND NEVER HAVE....THEY JUST KNOW).............when I told them that I have rabbits who are seperated from each other and are perfectly fine the comments stopped.....huh funny how that works

No they dont.I think they bond better with people if theres no other rabbit.chances are very good they wont get along after they go through sexual maturaty.That myth just helps the too many mixed breed rabbits issue.because often the rabbits are sexed wrong at the petstore.

I would tell them "OK, but there's a good chance they will hurt and/or kill each other when they mature if you don't get them fixed."

The companion rabbit thing has been perpetuated among the House Rabbit people, if I'm not mistaken. Seems they often place bonded altered pairs. I got the info to the local SPCA that will neuter a buck for $65 and I am going to make sure this info is in all of my pet rabbit paperwork.

I think I might also experiment with neutering or banding bucks myself and see if I can offer that service to pet buyers in the future.

My first rabbit was a beautiful harlequin Rex I had named Chester. He came with a mini rex/netherland dwarf mix My Daughter named Lightning. They were best buds. Till little lightning practically chewed Chester's male parts off. I knew it wouldn't heal & he would get sick so he became the first rabbit I ever butchered. I did a fine job but he was such a handsome boy. I stick to the keep the rabbits in their own pen policy now.

Edited by MaggieJ to remove material unsuited to pet rabbit sections. Lady Karli, any information or discussion pertaining to meat rabbits must be posted in the Meat Rabbits forum. If you wish to post the video, please start a new thread for it there. Thanks! :)

Oh no,
I just cannot agree!
All of my Bucks have a companion Rabbit
to keep them company,
For at least five minutes every now and then! :twisted:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Silver Star Rabbitry":2misudsk said:
When I was just starting out with rabbits I had three sibling bucks caged together. They were in my biggest cage and were perfectly happy together. Whenever I would go into my rabbitry they would be playing in their cage or grooming each other. Then I came in one day and the two lesser quality ones had killed the show quality one. They were 5 1/2 months old and had never shown any aggression towards each other. Ever since then I have caged all of my rabbits separately except for my does and litters and just weaned littermates. That's the safest thing to do and the rabbits have always been happy with it.

Emily

Sometimes... people will not belive the fact that a rabbit is alright by itself... until they actually experience the above for themselves. It is a horrible lesson to have to go thru... for both people And the rabbits !

Latest posts

Back