Bunny Relocation Issues

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kattoy

Reaction score
We recently moved into a new home and my rabbit Soybean had to spend a few days in a smaller petco cage while we broke down her hutch and rebuilt it at our new home. She did really well during transport but now that she's back in her hutch in our new home she seems very unsettled. She's barely eating or drinking, doesn't show much interest in her pellet food or hay, nibbled on a bit of a carrot and ate a very tiny piece of yogurt drop yesterday. It's been about 24 hours since she's indulged on her normal diet so I'm getting really concerned. I tried to pet her this morning but she seems very tense. I've had her about 2 years (she's probably about 4 years old) and she's the only rabbit I've ever had as an adult so I guess I'm wondering if she could be stressed from the move and how to remedy this since she's already back in her hutch again. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi and Welcome!!!
You said new home...I wonder if there is something in the air bothering her?fairly fresh paint? New carpet "off gasses" it leaves a gas in the air almost undetectable to humans,but pets pick it up...Or a noise like a furnace running or a fridge or freezer ? Does the water taste different?
Has she been out to explore the new place and check out stuff?
She may have liked the close quarters of the carrier, and now feels exposed...can you put the carrier in her hutch for a little while until she relaxes?
You are right to be concerned she must drink..even if you have to syringe it into her mouth...but try tempting her first...a little apple cider vinegar in her water.. a few drops of 100% apple juice in her water..or some raspberry tea.....

Thanks for the replies! She's an indoor/outdoor bunny. She prefers to be outside with grass and lots of room to roam, but I bring her inside to play occasionally and during super cold weather. So she's currently outside of our home. We only moved about 10 miles distance so the climate and environment are pretty much the same. I didn't think about the water tasting differently and I will put her carrier back in her play area, hopefully that helps. I have some apple juice on hand so I will try that too, thanks for all the tips!

No, nothing like that. We try to be chemical-free. The more I sit outside with her I'm noticing more birds in the trees in our new neighborhood. I wonder if she's frightened by them... I can't really get rid of wild animals though, so hopefully she'll adjust?

I had a sparrow in my bunny barn yesterday..poor thing got so frightened of me that he kept hitting the tin roof. :lol: :lol: :lol: They don't bother my buns at all they go under the hutches and eat the spilled food and collect the grass hay for nests. :D But if you have hawks or other hunting birds that may be it... :?
She is probably just confused. do what you can to familiarize her with the new area...hanging out with her will help to reassure her that it's ok, that is where she is supposed to be.
If you can give her some kitchen oatmeal and Black oil sunflower seeds...I have never met a bun that wouldn't eat those... :)
Silver Cloud is correct about the apple cider vinegar..two tablespoons in a gallon of water..they love the taste and it is very good for them, better urinary health and overall health. Her coat will look better and it aids with digestion. It's great stuff...

I think all animals get a little out of sorts when they're moved. They don't understand and we can't exactly tell them it's a better place. I'm sure she'll figure it out in a little time.

Latest posts

Back