Bun ingesting cat litter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunarFantom

Reaction score
My bun escaped his cage late in the night and I awoke at 3am to find him hopping around in a bunch of clumping cat litter. (I have no idea how he got up that high, the litter is waaaaaay above his cage. Did he scale the walls?!)

Horrified I picked him up and found he had hopped into a wet patch and it was now clinging to his fur. Remembering the taboo of putting water on your rabbit, but lacking baby wipes, I very carefully plucked each and every bit out of his fur I could find. I did submerge his feet though, as it was caked on and there was no other way to get it off.

I tried my best to be thorough but worry about having missed some, or him having eaten some while I wasn't around. (Who knows how long he was there?) What do I do? Do I monitor his health and take him to the vet if certain symptoms develop? Do I push the panic button and arrange for a check up asap?

Is clumping cat litter ingestion an acute issue or a chronic one that requires repeated ingestion to be threatening? :help:

I would just watch and see how he is doing, make sure he has hay to eat- the extra long-stem fiber is a plus... make sure he is eating and pooping, and his belly stays normal size-- If he stops eating, or pooping, or his belly gets "bloated" -- you got a problem that requires immediate attention...

Back