Building Cages. Urine Guards as Baby Saver???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenoshaRabbits

Reaction score
Hey guys I am planning out the cages I intend to build. It turns out I live an hour away from a major rabbit equipment supplier. Without having to worry about paying for shipping I can pick up the wire, and build all the cages I need for less money compared to pre-built. And to me the savings are worth the time it would take to make the cages.

1) The sides will be 2"x1" wire. For the cages with pregnant/nursing does, is a 4" tall metal urine guard as good a baby saver? The urine guard is straight up and down kind, not the sloped kind. In essence instead of 4" of .5"x1" baby saver wire on the bottom I would have 4" of solid metal. The urine guards would be on all four sides; so I think this would be acceptable in preventing kits from squeezing out of the cage in those early weeks. And since it is straight up and down I wouldn't have to worry about them sliding up a sloped urine guard and over the top.

If I bought baby-saver the guards would cover them up anyway. If I cut strips of .5"x1" wire and put it above the urine guards that would seem like overkill (4" of urine guard + 4" of baby-saver = 8" of protection)

2) If you utilize urine guards as a form of baby-saving how has that worked for you?

Thanks

Here is the urine guard I am talking about in case anyone needs a visual.
http://www.klubertanz.com/images/Klubertanz_Pg18.pdf

Urine guards work. I have used them.
What I really like, when you don't have baby saver wire, is to make the cages 4" smaller,
front to back, than the floor wire and just bend up 2" of wire all the way around the bottom of the cage.
So you create your own baby saver.

If you're starting from scratch, consider using drop down nest boxes built in to the floor. I used wire from Klubbertanz galv. after welding and folded 3" up on the sides. This was to serve as baby saver but wasn't necessary when using the drop down nest boxes because the babies don't come out of it until well after their eyes are open and then they are too big to go through the side wire anyway. However, I still recommend folding it up as it functions to stiffen the bottom.
Here is the thread with some pics. I've raised several litters in them and couldn't be more satisfied. No kits lost and no nest boxes to clean and install then remove.
new-cage-t29504.html

Back