Building Cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohen Rabbitry

Reaction score
I was looking around at Tractor Supply Co. and was looking at what kind of wire I need. Well, I got to thinking, why can't I use poultry wire, it is 1in and it is cheaper. I didn't know if since it is 'hexagon' and not rectangular if that made a difference. I would also like to add that I would be using it for upcoming MR litters, if that makes a difference either. Has anybody tried this? Is it a good idea? If so, why? If not, why?
Here is the link of what I am think about
http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/welded-wire-fencing/poultry-netting-48-in-x-50-ft--3627097

Thanks
Rachel

In the past, I have found chicken wire to be rather light for use with just about any rabbit cages. It tends to be flimsy, rusts easily and quickly when it comes into contact with urine, and doesn't stand up to the abuse a rabbit will put it thru.

An affordable option you may wish to consider, especially if you're planning to build wooden framed hutches, is common hardware cloth for the sides, and 1/2" X 1" wire for the flooring. It will stand up to the abuse much better.

I would also like to add that they are all indoors so I don't have to worry about predators or anything of that sort. Don't know if that information is needed, but there you have it just in case. ;)

Rachel

__________ Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:50 am __________

billylilwigeon":1qygip9g said:
In the past, I have found chicken wire to be rather light for use with just about any rabbit cages. It tends to be flimsy, rusts easily and quickly when it comes into contact with urine, and doesn't stand up to the abuse a rabbit will put it thru.

An affordable option you may wish to consider, especially if you're planning to build wooden framed hutches, is common hardware cloth for the sides, and 1/2" X 1" wire for the flooring. It will stand up to the abuse much better.

That is a great idea, except it is $12.00 for 24"x10', and I need 12' to make 2 24"x24" cages, so I would have to buy 2 just to make 2 cages and that would be $24.00, or $12.00 per cage. I can do it the other way (hopefully, if I am thinking this right) for about $2.50 per cage.

HHHMMMM.....any other ideas?

Rachel<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:58 am __________<br /><br />After thinking about how flimsy chicken wire is, I agree and don't think that would be the best thing. Here is another link to something else I was looking at. I just wish it cage in a bigger roll, but the bigger rolls are 2"x4". I also want to add that I am trying to do this so I don't have to put baby saving wire on every cage. Its time consuming, especially with only one person.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/we ... t--3621334

Rachel

DON'T USE CHICKEN WIRE!
Rabbits can chew threw Chicken Wire, escape
and maybe even hurt/cut themselves.
NO, "Chicken wire would be penny wise and dollar foolish"
The Better option would be 1X2 or 1 X 1 cage wire
and half X 1 floor wire. It will be well worth it as
the cages will be stronger and last much longer.
The security of your rabbit is important even if it is an inside rabbit.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

You should be able to get some regular wire at a feed store and make the cages exactly the way you want them.

Most of the stuff being sold at larger retailers (Lowe's, Tractor Supply, Home Depot, etc.) is made in China (what isn't these days?), and it's really cheap in quality. While the stuff made in the USA may cost more, in the end it will last much longer because it is built better and stronger. In other words, with cage wire, you're going to get what you pay for.

Don't get me wrong. I shop at Tractor Supply myself. In fact, I bought 2 bags of Manna Pro Sho Formula feed there last night, and buy most of my dog food and various other stuff there. I like the place, but I won't buy cage wire there.

Latest posts

Back