Building and light colors / fly control;

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
yes, this sounds kinda strange as a subject, but----
Many years ago, I think in Organic Gardening, I read that light blue barns have fewer flies around them. Now a friend tells me the horses always go into the run-in sheds during the day mostly to stay away from the flies-- which tend to avoid the darkness of the sheds, yet annoy them wile they hang out in the woods.
Anyway, the article stated that flies stay clear of 'sky blue' because they get disoriented-- instinct tells them the barn walls are the sky-- Some reason, white, red and other darker colors are okay as landing surfaces. Another friend does not like the yellow haze of the standard bug light bulbs-- she uses green bulbs for her house mounted exterior lights-- no flies hanging out at night, no ugly yellow haze.
So, I m not getting rabbit odor under my tent/tarp-- I use vanilla in the drinking water, and try to make sure I have a nice mix of peat moss in the regular bedding. The tent tarp is blue-- not sky blue, but not a real dark blue-- the small flies I see in the area, do not seem to be landing anywhere near the rabbits (Connor potties on the grass patch in the patio, and I can't seem to get his odor totally down) The flies are also NOT landing on the shade tarp. I am not finding any fly droppings or other evidence that they are landing on the white framework, as well.

So. some things to think about for safe ways to keep flies out of the rabbit area.

Back