Bug4H ordered a new cage for George :D

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOWsMom

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure just how accurate this representation is - but I think I've got the dimensions correct at least!

BunCagePlan01.jpg

Wire bottom, pull out tray underneath.
Pull-out second level with a solid bottom.

If my calculations are correct -

He will have 4.25 sq ft on the bottom level (3' x 18") - but some of that will be taken up with a litter box.
And another 1.8 sq ft on the hop-up level.

Most days he gets at least a couple of hours out of his cage too - either to hop around in her room and the hallway, or out in the backyard.

Is 6 sq ft a decent amount of space for a rabbit that will get to 4 1/2 lbs ?

It sounds just fine to me, especially as George gets time out of the cage to run around. Most pet rabbits have to make do with a lot less than that!

I'm glad that Bug is enjoying George so much! You two did so much prep work before buying him and it is wonderful to see how well that paid off. :D

What a neat cage! I love that the second level pulls out.

Why are you planning on having a litter box for him since the bottom is wire? Wont it be just as easy to pull out the tray to clean it?

Some people I know use puppy pads in their show carriers to absorb urine and make them simple to clean- you might try that. I personally use pine pellets in mine.

we are useing a litter pan so he keeps peeing in it in the hallway where he gets his playtime
and so it is only solid droppings in the pull out pan.

MamaSheepdog":27lw7dfp said:
What a neat cage! I love that the second level pulls out.

Why are you planning on having a litter box for him since the bottom is wire? Wont it be just as easy to pull out the tray to clean it?

Some people I know use puppy pads in their show carriers to absorb urine and make them simple to clean- you might try that. I personally use pine pellets in mine.

George is already litter trained for the most part - he uses his litter box (with pine pellets ;) ) for all his pee when in his cage, and a LOT of his poop too !
Out of the cage, it's not 100% use yet, but it's getting better all the time.

We don't want to lose that - and it really is much easier to pull out and empty one small litter pan than it will be to pull out an 18"x36" pan - especially for someone as tiny as Bug is ! <br /><br /> -- Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:20 pm -- <br /><br /> FB_IMG_1441325880464.jpg

It's here!

We've had the cage two weeks now - and while he's had a bit of litter box misses, it's not too bad - we had to move the litter pan out from under the hop-up level. I don't think he could sit the way he wanted to to pee.

He's still out a fair amount each day - and he's such a snuggly, sweet rabbit that has stolen the hearts of the entire family !

Latest posts

Back