Bug found in dirty litter box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyled

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can identify this bug that I found in my rabbit's dirty litter box when I was cleaning it yesterday afternoon.
Would it be coming from my rabbit? Could it just be from flies or something from the house?
There were 2 of them crawling around in the poop.
Any info would be great! Thanks!litterbug.jpg

I have no idea what that is!

Please add your location (province or state if Canada or the US, or your country if someplace else) to your profile. It really helps because so many rabbit-related questions depend on location. Your "bug" may only exist in certain areas, so if we are to help you we need to know where you are.

Please, this goes for all members, old and new! Help us out by adding your location to your profile!

Edited to add:
It would also be helpful if we had some idea of the size of this critter. It might make identifying it easier.

I might have found it! They could be black soldier fly larvae . . . in which case they are beneficial.
http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/

Glad to have you with us, boyled! I always particularly enjoy welcoming a new member from Ontario . . . though it's been over forty years since I saw Sault Ste. Marie. :)

Do you think your bug is a soldier fly larva then?

I googled indentifying fly larvae ontario and I agree, it's not so easy to be sure. The reason I thought soldier fly larvae was because other members have mentioned them in the past.

I came across this Canadian pest control company. They invite you to send pictures to them for identification.
http://www.pestcontrolcanada.ca/Questio ... 20pest.htm

Good luck with it! :good-luck:

Yeah, I buy soldier fly larvae for fishing and they are very similar but smooth. Still the same overall shape along with being very firm compared to other worms and maggots. (Keeps the sunfish from pecking the bait off the hook) Living in the midwest if I had a dime for every bug I found I would have a nice plot of land in the country. My house came with fruit flies in the sink trap and some house mice already. I just picked up the dish of water the weaning gerbil males filled with bedding and a couple flying little thingies came out. Add it to the other 8 flying thingies I come across the second I fail to keep something fully sealed or clean. Then I got covered in bug thingies that bit and looked like teeny tiny ticks which were rat mites. Also I've seen poultry mites due to the neighbors letting pigeons multiply at will in their roof. I kind of wonder if he isn't purposely raising them since I never see pigeons in the yards.... DE has got to have penetrated my entire house by now cause I gave up sweeping for awhile in some rooms and just threw it straight on the floors from corner to corner to kill every mite. I also threw handfuls in the cat tower sleeping spots and so forth. Rat mites like nesting areas where animals will return to sleep.

So basically... some type of fly :lol: There's 288 fannia species. I was gonna say that maybe many aren't temperate but then it reads " largely confined to the Holarctic and temperate Neotropical ecozones". Which translates to the entire northern hemisphere and south america. Eggs can survive just about any conditions and hatch up to 2000 flies in 24-48hrs. Maybe that's the small more fly like instead of gnat like thingies that appear if you forget anything in this house. Left a potato on the counter after cutting, we have flies. Didn't dump that soaking mixing bowl soon enough, we have flies. Didn't catch that the guinea pigs soaked a cage corner when refilling the water bottles, we have flies... You get the idea.

Back