bucks vs does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjlattimore88

Reaction score
i wanted to know about the behavior of bucks vs does because my doe is like whatever and my buck is so active and jittery

he's always trying to dig and makes his cage a mess while the doe is just relaxing is this normal or do i just have a energetic buck?

I usually suggest bucks when people want pets because the does have a higher tendency to be aggressive and high strung. My bucks do love to dig though. They don't dig tunnels like the does would but the colony bucks leave craters everywhere and the caged bucks like to pile and rearrange their straw.

thats exactly what he is doing and for some reason they dont know how to use the water bottles so i had to place water dishes in the cages to which they promptly began drinking so i dont know if i should take the bottles away and just use dishes or should i take the dishes away and force they to learn the bottles

For the most part, my bucks are a lot easier to handle and seem to have more personality. (With the exception of my Flemish doe.) When someone is looking for a pet, I try to sell them a buck.

sjlattimore88":2ffcrta2 said:
thats exactly what he is doing and for some reason they dont know how to use the water bottles so i had to place water dishes in the cages to which they promptly began drinking so i dont know if i should take the bottles away and just use dishes or should i take the dishes away and force they to learn the bottles
i would just put the bottle there romove the dish and tap your finger on top of it and let your rabbit lick it off your figer..eventualy the rabbit will get how to use a water botel..I was very sucessful with my flemish doe using this method and she has been raised on water bowels her whole life.

They figure it out within a day or 2. My colony rabbits have chicken waterers so they drink from a rim. When I collect the young bucks to put in cages I don't bother doing anything special. I just check the bottle frequently to see if it's gone down yet. Usually by the 2nd day there's a sudden drop as they all figure out how to drink. Now if it's really hot out I would be more cautious. If it's hot I would set a dish under the bottle on a tile or brick (depends on the height of your cages) to keep it cleaner and only fill it a little so it runs out frequently. Then they will investigate the tube of the bottle hanging over the dish to find more water. Especially works if you have a drippy bottle to put in there for a day. I used to do that with chickens when I moved them from a chick brooder with standard waterer to a big growout cage in the coop with bottles for convenience. Just put a drippy one in for a day over a dish on a brick and the first one would have it figured out within the hour so that by evening they all knew how to drink from bottles.

I agree that bucks are ususally way calmer than does...unless you have an older doe and a younger buck maybe? Does are territorial and cranky sometimes, bucks may be reserved, but are rarely jumpy and spazzy...You are just lucky I guess. They are really new though, give them a few weeks to settle in before you really evaluate their behavior. Their personalities may change as they begin to feel more comfortable.

eco2pia":5kf2ii0g said:
I agree that bucks are ususally way calmer than does...unless you have an older doe and a younger buck maybe? Does are territorial and cranky sometimes, bucks may be reserved, but are rarely jumpy and spazzy...You are just lucky I guess. They are really new though, give them a few weeks to settle in before you really evaluate their behavior. Their personalities may change as they begin to feel more comfortable.

ok thats fair i guess i cant be so quick to judge them i would be suspicious if somebody placed me in a crate and an hour later i was in a totally different place lol

for some reason they don't know how to use the water bottles so i had to place water dishes in the cages to which they promptly began drinking so i don't know if i should take the bottles away and just use dishes or should i take the dishes away and force they to learn the bottles. [sjlattimore88]

Hello Sj,
I would take the bowl away as the water-bottle is a cleaner source of drinking water.
Place a sliver of wood or piece of match stick in the nozzle of the water-bottle
to create a slight drip this will entice the rabbit to drink from the bottle.
Once he/she gets the hang of it, remove what is causing the drip.
This should take a day or two.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I have always preferred the temperament of bucks to that of does. Bucks are far more active, fun-loving, and pet-friendly animals. While a doe can be all the above things as well, they also can have a moodier and more unpredictable aire about them- its a hormonal thing (LOL), and without constant intervention they can become aloof and/or easily aggitated. I would accept a buck a any age... however, with a doe, I would never accept one over 8 weeks old... to hand train them into "acceptance" and cut back on their unpredictble natures, so when they do go into their "hormonal stage" they never lose their ability to be handled and pet-friendly.

Latest posts

Back