Bucks & Grow Out Questions ~ Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
1) My FG buck is living it up loose in the rabbitry (daytime) and I hope to give him outside access, too.
He is a senior (14 months).
I assume that he needs to be the only one or there would be fighting (and I don't really want to find out when he is so much bigger than the others!)?
What if I rotated them one loose at a time? or would that be too much stress for them re. territoriality?

2) I have two Holland bucks (about 13/14 weeks) and I separated them today because one is a spraying, marking, humping machine and the other is significantly smaller.
I am keeping one buck from my FG litter, but still have 4 on site.
Size difference and bucks being bucks, I assume these guys all need separate cages (the two hlops and the FG) or only if showing aggression?
If I have FG buck(s) to growout from the littler due next week (8 weeks apart from other FG kits) can they go in with the older FG buck after weaning etc? Try it? No way?

3) Does~ my plan is to keep my 2 FG does together indefinitely.
Could future growout FG does go in with them until breeding time since that is going to be in the new year for any and all?
I am assuming my hlop doe (13 weeks) is too small to hang with the FG doe kits? They are about the same weight right now.
(that may be a stupidly obvious question... but maybe I am being over cautious and they'd enjoy the company regardless of size and maybe the warmth come colder weather :x :lol: )

Just trying to get a reasonable handle on cages needed and what I can keep...
and how much is 'try it and see, each rabbit is different' vs. 'that is a bad idea'. :p

From what I've been told, it's almost never a good idea to keep bucks together for long. Letting them share the same exercise yard in a rotation schedule will probably result in a lot of spraying. But I'm not certain.

Letting does live together is possible but chancy. That's as much as I know.

Back