Bucks being breedable

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So, this is a just curious but it's kinda weird. So here goes, today I was clipping the rabbits nails *The inside ones, tomorrow I shall tackle the outsiders* But I noticed that when I had the two new found bucks that it appeared their sack has not dropped? I mean maybe I just didn't see them or something but I've noticed when clipping the older ones nails there's are there. I'm not trying to be weird and I'm not intentionally just staring at their parts. It's just something I happened to notice but it made me wonder..

We kept a buck from last year's litters to breed this year and were wondering whether he'd be ready when we wanted to start breeding. Most of the replies to my questions said that you could tell they were ready when their testicles descended. His weren't visible, but we got 6 litters from him this spring. I'd guess that isn't typical, but I wouldn't assume a buck was incapable of breeding on the basis of not seeing testicles.

My buck breed two doe's without the testicals hanging down. I just happen across this post because I thought it was abnormal for this to happen. And I was searching to see if something was wrong with both of them or it was a heat rated issue. So Rainey i guess this is totally normal to see the testicals hanging down?

Well I'm not sure if the doe is pregnant or not. I just know that I found out 2 of my 3 "girls" were actually boys so 2 boys, 1 girl >3< She's in a new separated place now. I'm not sure if she's pregnant so she's inside in a pet carrier *Two to be exact because they were a bit short but she spends most of her time free roaming the pool table (They are inside)* When I flipped them over to make it easier to trim their nails I just happened to notice and then I was like wait what?! So I looked and noticed his testicles hadn't descended. If they are breedable then that's awesome if not then oh well I'll just have to wait a bit longer. I just guess I never realized rabbits testicles descended I guess I figured they were just there? I just never put any thought into it I guess.

ButtonsPalace":138lj4eq said:
Well I'm not sure if the doe is pregnant or not. I just know that I found out 2 of my 3 "girls" were actually boys so 2 boys, 1 girl >3< She's in a new separated place now. I'm not sure if she's pregnant so she's inside in a pet carrier *Two to be exact because they were a bit short but she spends most of her time free roaming the pool table (They are inside)* When I flipped them over to make it easier to trim their nails I just happened to notice and then I was like wait what?! So I looked and noticed his testicles hadn't descended. If they are breedable then that's awesome if not then oh well I'll just have to wait a bit longer. I just guess I never realized rabbits testicles descended I guess I figured they were just there? I just never put any thought into it I guess.

Dont feel bad. I thought the same..

Depends on the breed of rabbit and when they're fertile. The dwarfs can be ready to inseminate at 3 months old. My NZ like to wait until they're 7 months old, although I've heard a few as young as 5 months old can get the job done too.

I would say they be ready at 5 months. But I was told with cali not to breed till 8 months old.

Maybe this sounds too simple but.... When I'm holding a buck upside down, sometimes the testes just don't show. When I look at different times of the day, while they are in a different position, then I can really tell if they are descended.

unless you inherently wish to have an overabundance of bucks.....you'd best learn
to sex them between 4-7 weeks old. Don't wait for things to ''''drop'''' by then it
may be far too late and you'll have young does delivering kits that are of NO
EARTHLY GOOD.....inbred youngsters aren't stock to choose future breeders from.
I've sexed young rabbits fairly accurately at three weeks old. It takes practice...but it's doable.

Learn the basics------------------first/

ButtonsPalace":3f1v6ctz said:
I'm not trying to be weird and I'm not intentionally just staring at their parts. It's just something I happened to notice but it made me wonder..
Oh gosh, nothing wierd here. Keep doing it ,stare, probe, tickle as much as you want, you'll learn to see differences easier the more and more often you look, that's a good skill to learn. You have to develop an eye for the differncies, the best thing you can do is look them over regularly. After 4 years I still make mistakes...

Hey, you're a farm girl now, kind of, that's just one af the things that comes with that :lol:

grumpy":bljfof08 said:
unless you inherently wish to have an overabundance of bucks.....you'd best learn
to sex them between 4-7 weeks old. Don't wait for things to ''''drop'''' by then it
I've sexed young rabbits fairly accurately at three weeks old. It takes practice...but it's doable.

Thanks for the rude comment. I'm sorry I'm not perfect :)

-- June 6th, 2016, 6:07 pm --

Zinnia":bljfof08 said:
Maybe this sounds too simple but.... When I'm holding a buck upside down, sometimes the testes just don't show. When I look at different times of the day, while they are in a different position, then I can really tell if they are descended.
Not sure how I would look from different angles... <br /><br /> -- June 6th, 2016, 6:12 pm -- <br /><br />
Preitler":bljfof08 said:
ButtonsPalace":bljfof08 said:
I'm not trying to be weird and I'm not intentionally just staring at their parts. It's just something I happened to notice but it made me wonder..
Oh gosh, nothing wierd here. Keep doing it ,stare, probe, tickle as much as you want, you'll learn to see differences easier the more and more often you look, that's a good skill to learn. You have to develop an eye for the differncies, the best thing you can do is look them over regularly. After 4 years I still make mistakes...

Hey, you're a farm girl now, kind of, that's just one of the things that comes with that :lol:
I've been a farm girl for quite some time and I am almost constantly walking over to my neighbors horses to see the new ones he has and I'm always the one bent over looking to see if it's a boy or girl XD. I remember a site I looked at once and it was like if it's a girl then the front and back are together but if it's a boy there's a split.. Maybe I should look into it.. Not sure how I thought too boys were girls but I'm getting better haha! XD I managed to sex my two younger ones

ButtonsPalace":cifj6pc8 said:
grumpy":cifj6pc8 said:

Thanks for the rude comment. I'm sorry I'm not perfect :)

Life becomes 'rude' easily enough without the addition of naïveté. We are responsible for
the health and well-being of those creatures placed in our care. First and foremost that single
concern should be paramount in one's mind before any and all other concerns.

Rudeness was not my intent.... Perfection is. We should all strive for the nearly unattainable.

Grumpy.

Well I'm just starting. And I'm probably never gonna be perfect. I feel awful for mis sexing and even worse for not having enough sense to have checked them since the guy said they were 2-3 weeks *I bought 6 rabbits total it was them with their mom and 2 bucks* I might have tried to sex a 2 week old rabbit which would make more sense as to why I messed up. I do need to look back over which is which again just as a refresher..

Back