Bucks and Bucklings

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWolf

Reaction score
I've heard that most bucks actually like kits... until they get mature.
My question is, when would the mature bucks stop tolerating the bucklings?
I have two bucks, one about 7months and one about 9months, and 3 bucklings about 10weeks old. Can I house the bucklings and 1 buck together in a 10ft by 10ft run attatched to a small hutch, with lots of hidey holes? When would I have to separate them?
I'm asking this because it would make housing the kits a lot easier, and it would give everyone enough room to run around. Every other day the bucks switch- one has access to the run, the other doesn't. So, only 1 buck would be in with the bucklings.

Thanks in advance!

It depends on all the bucks temperaments.

I wouldn't trust one of my Mini Lop bucks with any male older than 12 weeks, but they other guy would likely do fine.

Ive had my 10 year old Flemish x NZ buck in with 4 month olds in a 10 x 10 colony with no problems, they know he is top dog so dont challenge him and scatter if he postures up.

Usually it's the youngsters fighting among themselves, at around 12 weeks, that leads to their demise.

I bet I could keep them with him even longer but I haven't tested it. Once the old guy starts lagging in his duties I may keep one of his sons as a replacement and see how the two get along past 4 months.

Thanks! I think my bucks and bucklings will get along, because they've already touched noses and met through the wire (the buck run and doe/kits run share a wall). Plus, my bucks are pretty laid back.

Back