buck wont breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
he is a one year old Cali male. just got him about 3 weeks ago. gave him two weeks to settle in and then breed him, he was good, went for her right away. and then today, we were cleaning out the rabbit shed, getting readyto move them into the carport, their new home, and we gave them some grass time (just put the cages on the grass). then we moved them and tired to breed him twice. nothing. nothing at all. well... one doe ended up mounting him... so, we let him be, and just breed our younger buck. what could be his issues.

when we got him he was a pet that didnt like being a pet, he doest like to be touched or held, so they wanted rid of him. and we got him. he did great his frist time and now nothing? i mean im sure its prob b/c we were moving them around. but... our other buck could have cared less. just a little confused, not sure what to do with him if he wont breed.

He's not a machine. Anybunny can have an "off" day.

If he was distracted or upset by having the cages moved around, it might have been enough to put him off.

Try him again another time, preferably in the morning and before feeding. Remember to bring the doe to his cage, not the other way around. This is important for a couple of reasons. A buck is often distracted from his work if he is not on his own turf. More important, the doe may view a visitor to her cage as an intruder and do the buck real harm.

MaggieJ":ll34xc8x said:
He's not a machine. Anybunny can have an "off" day.

If he was distracted or upset by having the cages moved around, it might have been enough to put him off.

Try him again another time, preferably in the morning and before feeding. Remember to bring the doe to his cage, not the other way around. This is important for a couple of reasons. A buck is often distracted from his work if he is not on his own turf. More important, the doe may view a visitor to her cage as an intruder and do the buck real harm.

thank you! we always bring the does to the buck. i wasnt sure, but i figured it was b/c of the moving of the cages and hes already pretty moody as it is. is there anything other then givig him some time to ge used to his new set up that i can do for him? and why would he be so submisive to the doe?

I don't think he was being submissive. I think he was just not in the mood - and she was! The phrase "breeding like rabbits" really does rabbits a disservice because it raises false expectations of what happens when they are put together.

If your dandelions are up, you could try giving him a few leaves every day. They are high in Vitamin A... one of the essential vitamins for breeding. If nothing else, it may put him in a better mood. :)

MaggieJ":2ekct9eg said:
I don't think he was being submissive. I think he was just not in the mood - and she was! The phrase "breeding like rabbits" really does rabbits a disservice because it raises false expectations of what happens when they are put together.

If your dandelions are up, you could try giving him a few leaves every day. They are high in Vitamin A... one of the essential vitamins for breeding. If nothing else, it may put him in a better mood. :)
Thank you! haha i never thought she.... was in the mood, i just thougth she was showing him who was boss. haha. oh well. ill deff try to find some and try that. thank yo uso muc!

Some of my older bucks wont try too mount a doe thats not ready.they know shes not ready and they just sit there.I like my bucks too be slightly thin.fat bucks will have trouble breeding.

Latest posts

Back