Buck having problems doing his job. :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie

Reaction score
Hi. We have a buck that seems to have developed a problem completing his task. Could it be a problem with weight? How do you get him to exercise to lose any pudge that's getting in the way? Or, is there some other problem that could be preventing him from latching on and getting the deed done?
Or, is it the doe's problem?
My husband has been breeding for ~2 1/2 years now. So, we're still learning. :shock: :oops:
Thank you! :wall:

Hm, sterility wouldn't affect what he's doing, just the result...

What do you feed, and is he really overweight?

How do you breed them, I mean, do you put the doe in his cage, or what?

My experience is that they have the deed done in seconds when buck and doe accidentally get into the garden at the same time, so, when I want to breed them I just open the doors and turn my back...

If that doesn't work I put the doe into the bucks hutch for 2-3 days.

if it's been over 90 degrees lately, i would wonder if he's also getting wore out from the heat. is the doe lifting any? because if she isn't they'll just hump her incessantly with no real result. the heat affects her, too, and a lot of time she won't want to lift. i'd wait until you have a week or so under 85 degrees and try again.

Preitler":1864754s said:
Hm, sterility wouldn't affect what he's doing, just the result...

What do you feed, and is he really overweight?

How do you breed them, I mean, do you put the doe in his cage, or what?

My experience is that they have the deed done in seconds when buck and doe accidentally get into the garden at the same time, so, when I want to breed them I just open the doors and turn my back...

If that doesn't work I put the doe into the bucks hutch for 2-3 days.

They get a mix of oats, barley, and sunflower seeds. And hay grass through out the day. I'm not sure if he is really overweight or not.
When it's breeding time, they both get put in a seperate cage just for the act then back to their own after. <br /><br /> -- Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:27 pm -- <br /><br />
shazza":1864754s said:
if it's been over 90 degrees lately, i would wonder if he's also getting wore out from the heat. is the doe lifting any? because if she isn't they'll just hump her incessantly with no real result. the heat affects her, too, and a lot of time she won't want to lift. i'd wait until you have a week or so under 85 degrees and try again.

I'm not sure what is really happening. Just going by what my husband says. I'll ask him and show him this whole thread. Thanks!

shazza":2kd6bz79 said:

Does that mean it only takes a week for the buck's sperm count to get back to cool weather numbers?

it actually can take a few months, depending on the rabbit. i just say wait til you have a week of lower temps so he might have the energy to really try. doesn't necessarily mean he'll have many viable sperm, but he'll at least be able to have the chance of getting her pregnant. any successful attempt is a possible litter!

I have bred mine in a contained room, in the house. As soon as they get in the a/c and cool off, they can be ready to try. Depending on the temps, I would say its just the heat. She probably knows shes not interested in carrying a litter right now and hes just too worn out to keep trying....

Back