Buck hasn't pooped...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
in HOURS. I am getting really worried :| . he hasn't eaten, hasn't drunk anything that I can tell. He has a crock, and was on pellets, I tried to give him hay, but he has never been crazy about it. I picked some blackberry leaves, grass, and a bit of rosebush. I don't know what to do for him, but he is nibbling the greens. Are greens okay for him in this situ? I thought just feed him.

What should I be doing?! :cry_baby:

How old is he, how long have you had him, has his appetite been good up until today? How is he acting since you began to suspect a problem?

Here's a link to a comprehensive article about GI Stasis.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html
This may be your buck's problem. Partway down, there are suggestions for treatment. The first thing they mention is to take the rabbit to a vet. Not always a practical choice for meat rabbits, but there is lots of good information on treatment in the article as well.

I'd definitely continue with the greens. Try offering them wet... this will get some fluid into him. Dandelions are mildly laxative and a good choice to help get things moving, but whatever greens he will take are fine. The infant gas drops may also help and I've heard good things about the abdominal massage as well. Never tried any of these, since I've never seen a case of GI Stasis firsthand.

Good luck with him. :clover: It sounds like you caught it early, so there's a good chance you can get him through it.

he needs to eat and drink

you may need to force feed him - a large gauge syringe works well and pellets break down when soaked in hot water ... (then allow them to cool)

no poop in rabbits is a bad sign :(

I would syringe water and or pureed pumpkin. sounds like GI statis---he is blocked up. Pineapple can help and black and raspberry bushes; hay is good too. pull the pellets for now.

He still hasn't pooped yet. He is eating greens, I gave him some dandilions, and he went to TOWN on those suckers. So I have hope he'll pull through. I think he is drinking, the crock is noticably lower at this point. Just waiting for him to poop, is all...<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:32 pm __________<br /><br />cereshill, I posted with you, lol. I didn't know about the pureed pumpkin. I will give him some. I should pull the pellets? On it. I just want him to pull through. Since I butchered my other, He is the only buck I have even CLOSE to breeding age.

let him have the greens; if he is drinking and eating forgo the pumpkin and forcing water---it is traumatic and can fill lungs if they don't drink it.<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:10 pm __________<br /><br />oh---and make sure he has some hay to go with the greens--he could get loose later!

Oh, goodness! He pooped! Even at midnight last night, still nothing, but I woke up this morning, and never thought I'd be so happy to see it! Thanks all!

Yippee! He pooped! :bouncy:

Just keep an eye on him and his poops... make sure they keep coming and that they don't go too far the other way. Poopy butt is easier to deal with than no poop, but it is still not fun. Likely won't happen... but just be vigilant. :)

Latest posts

Back