Register

Buck eating fur?

Understand why your rabbits behave the way they do - and what you can do about it.
Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,879.00

Buck eating fur?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:34 pm

Is it normal for them to eat their shed fur? He is a molting mess, and every time I go out I get more and more off of him. One day I set the ball of fluff I had pulled off of him on the edge of the hutch and he started eating it :? . Is that a sign of nutrient deficiency? Normal behavior?
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,090.00

Re: Buck eating fur?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:42 pm

Rabbit's aren't the smartest lol
You need to give him lots of hay (timothy, bermuda, etc, not alfalfa) to keep his gut moving so he doesn't get wool block. The increased fiber might stop him from eating the fur if he was eating it for the fiber too.

If he losses some appetite, you should feed him fresh pineapple, which has enzymes that can dissolve the fur in his digestive tract.
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies

thesodi.com - the chicken game

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,879.00

Re: Buck eating fur?

Post Number:#3  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:37 pm

He has free choice on hay... his pellet consumption has gone down a little. I'll have to find some ripe pineapple somewhere.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...