buck doesn't "fall-off"

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
My 7 month old Creme buck seems more than eager to mount lady rabbits, but he never does a "fall-off".

last month I put a proven cali cross in with him, she's about 2 years old. He did his thing, but didn't fall or grunt. I tried a couple of times over 2 days, but no falling. If she'd been bred I would have expected kits last friday or saturday. Nothing. I wasn't surprised.

so this morning I put a 7 month Creme doe in with him, she didn't run or hide from him, he looked like he got the business done but he didn't fall off. It did seem wet around her vent though. I then put my Cali cross doe with him, there was a lot of "action" but no falling and when I decided to give up I noticed her back and tail were wet. Any idea on what is going on here?

Do you think he is still too young?

ottersatin":2cenn7jq said:
He is possibly missing the target!
Perhaps he requires a Step-stool! :twisted:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Otter, if her back and tail is wet, then maybe *she* needs the step stool! :mrgreen:
hehehehe.....

I would agree, sounds like he is not making penetration. Are the does "lifting" for him? Could you try to hold up their hind quarters for him? I know with mine, I have never seen wetness on a tail or back when the mating ended up being successful.

It does sound as though he is missing the target. Watch the doe's tail and hindquarters while the mating is in progress. She should lift at the crucial moment... and the movement of her tail should be quite obvious. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

Agreed-- missing the mark, the poor buck actually kinda 'curls' under the does tail- hence the need for her to lift.

Back