Brought home more bunnies...Harlequins! POPPLE UPDATE!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zass

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Because they are medium sized. (Although that magpie buck is still a pretty big boy! 8 lbs 10 oz.)
The standard pretty much sums up as:
"The markings have to be like, this, and this...Oh, and make sure it's also shaped like a rabbit!" Type was really low on the point scale..
Which kind of appeals to me. Since I've been shopping around for medium sized rabbits with a more natural body to try growing out on a hay-grain diet. I also thought the somewhat random nature of markings seemed fun. Like rolling dice. :)

Well...I contacted a harlequin breeder and explained that I was looking for: Pedigreed meat/brood stock harlequins with the intent of working towards magpie. A chance of being able to produce something the kids can show down the line would be nice... I was given TONS of helpful advice!!

Clean color is genetic, so I thought I'd try selecting for clean colored animals over ones with showable markings that weren't as well defined? Does that make sense?

I'm already comfortable with processing 99% of what I produce. (Unless they are v-lops, for some reason, I'm NOT OK with that.)

So anyway, I purchased this pair that had unshowable markings, but had relatives that were show rabbits.

I was told that I should breed the jap doe to the magpie buck (when she comes of age.)
What I'll get is washed out japs that may have undesirable white marks. There is magpie in her background, but not an immediate ancestor, so I can't really hope it see it first gen. Her kits can be bred back to magpie for the 50% chance at potentially showable (with luck) magpies. It was suggested that I keep lines pretty close, and that breeding jap to magpie will not harm the magpie color at all. (but magpie harms jap color)

Interestingly, both have chocolate and blue or lilac on pedigree, but not a parent of those shades...so who knows what I'll see?

I was pleasantly surprised by both animal's personalities :) Both are outgoing and friendly. The doe is only 9 weeks old, but she has no fear of my face or hands. She was pretty composed on my lap during the trip back (cool as a cucumber would be apt)...the only oddity being that she started licking my hand and tried to take a bite out of my jerky. :lol: The buck is already starting to try and woo me. :oops:

Erm...Ok so done rambling. Here's Mystery the magpie (not at his best here, as he's ready to molt and may have been housed next to another buck for a little while...), and Sinphonia the little jap doe hanging out in my old quarantine pens.

They would have to be least expensive pedigreed stock I have ever purchased. Here's to hoping my inverse-price-to-production theory holds up. ;)

Attachments

• GEDC2154.JPG
    GEDC2154.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 1,645
  • GEDC2157.JPG
    GEDC2157.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,645
  • GEDC2164.JPG
    GEDC2164.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,645
Wook at her wittle face!!! :p

*Ahem!* :oops:

Nice buck, too. :)

Have fun with them! Hopefully they wont be too friendly (like those sneaky "don't-eat-me-because-I'm-a-puppy-rabbit" Vlops) so you can cull with zealous abandon! :twisted: :dinner:

MamaSheepdog":3rv0gbze said:
Wook at her wittle face!!! :p

*Ahem!* :oops:

Nice buck, too. :)

Have fun with them! Hopefully they wont be too friendly (like those sneaky "don't-eat-me-because-I'm-a-puppy-rabbit" Vlops) so you can cull with zealous abandon! :twisted: :dinner:

:laugh2:

Thanks MSD! :D

I don't really fear any other breed will be quite that affectionate.

After the silver fox, I was actually expecting the worst. :x So calm and outgoing was quite a pleasant surprise. :p

Congrats and good find! I love the harlequin colors. Just bred some harlequins and magpies, though of the standard rex variety. Was very excited as I think they are beautiful. I look forward to seeing pics of gorgeous kits! Hopefully you get showable ones early on. :)
Pik

MaggieJ":25ea8xyc said:
Oh, that last picture! Too cute for words.

Hope they produce some super babies. The nice thing about raising a meat breed is that culling is easier - the freezer awaits! :chef:

Yeah, the best bunny for breeding is definitely a practical one. I'm hoping these guys are just what we need.

Pikku":25ea8xyc said:
Congrats and good find! I love the harlequin colors. Just bred some harlequins and magpies, though of the standard rex variety. Was very excited as I think they are beautiful. I look forward to seeing pics of gorgeous kits! Hopefully you get showable ones early on. :)
Pik

I may have had a little harlequin envy after seeing some of your pretty rabbits :whistle: Can't wait to see more of those too! :D

They look great. I would like very much to restart raising rabbits again with Harlequins, but there doesn't seem to be any available within reasonable traveling distance of me.

Nice! I'll be breeding my tri pair next week after the show. I'm hoping a few of my does decide it's spring while they're indoors this weekend too.

Section10":2xrwe4or said:
They look great. I would like very much to restart raising rabbits again with Harlequins, but there doesn't seem to be any available within reasonable traveling distance of me.

Thanks, I don't think I did too bad this time :)

I actually took advantage of a show to find these guys. It was only 4 and a 1/2 hours away... So...I posted what I was looking for on a couple facebook pages that existed for no other purpose...and was given names of people I could ask. There were a few dead ends, but I did get lucky and contact someone with really pretty stock that happened to have something I could use. She was mostly sold out, I think I had about last pick, but still. Since I have a much greater interest in raising food animals than I do in actually showing anything, they are probably just right. ;) <br /><br /> __________ Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:28 am __________ <br /><br />
3mina":2xrwe4or said:
Nice! I'll be breeding my tri pair next week after the show. I'm hoping a few of my does decide it's spring while they're indoors this weekend too.

Mine seem to feel friskiest on a sunny day :)

Zass":xfscqyn0 said:
3mina":xfscqyn0 said:

Mine seem to feel friskiest on a sunny day :)

We've just gotten up to eight hours of daylight and we're still sitting at -16 celcius, the difference in temperature and light should throw these girls into a tizzy this weekend.
The tris have been in the basement all winter and when I checked the doe last night I could've bred her then but I don't like breeding just before a show.

3mina":h1xmrxev said:
We've just gotten up to eight hours of daylight and we're still sitting at -16 celcius, the difference in temperature and light should throw these girls into a tizzy this weekend.
The tris have been in the basement all winter and when I checked the doe last night I could've bred her then but I don't like breeding just before a show.

SO cold :shock: Man, when I think it's cold here :x

They are gorgeous!! :p All of a sudden everyone is making me want harlies now. Must....contain...........self........... :wr_wall:

Nice! I have one miss-marked Harlequin doe and I love her to death. She's the only doe I have that really loves to be loved on. I have to stroke and talk to her first thing - even before food. If I dump her feed in she still begs for love. It's our thing I guess - 1. Adore her 2. scratch the itchy spots 3. eat ;)

they are so pretty!!!! I personally LOVE the magpie color. I got it one with a chocolate doe I once had but never got it again. with my jap harli rex I hope to get some this spring/summer.

Congrats on such an awesome find!!! ;D

Phacelia":2s94e9z7 said:
They are gorgeous!! :p All of a sudden everyone is making me want harlies now. Must....contain...........self........... :wr_wall:

Haha, I experience that every time you post your gorgeous reds and creams. :p

Wheels":2s94e9z7 said:
Nice! I have one miss-marked Harlequin doe and I love her to death. She's the only doe I have that really loves to be loved on. I have to stroke and talk to her first thing - even before food. If I dump her feed in she still begs for love. It's our thing I guess - 1. Adore her 2. scratch the itchy spots 3. eat ;)

Oh I hope so. My favorite girls are always like that. I've heard temperament can be all-over-the-place with harlis, so I tried not getting my hopes up too much. Now I'm starting to think those silver fox just had me a little traumatized... :cry:

Celice":2s94e9z7 said:
they are so pretty!!!! I personally LOVE the magpie color. I got it one with a chocolate doe I once had but never got it again. with my jap harli rex I hope to get some this spring/summer.

Congrats on such an awesome find!!! ;D

Thanks Celice :) I'd been toying with the idea of trying them out for about a year now. I think my husband showing interest was the final nail. His ideal rabbit is interesting, colorful, pleasant to be around, and multi-use. He really liked the look of the magpies, so I took that direction.

I don't really care to breed towards superlative traits or anything that can cause genetic or health issues... so just pinning down markings on a very average rabbit felt like it might be a good fit.

I'm continuing my work with the fluffy mutt line as well. The pelts on those are getting pretty nice.

What do you think of "Magpie Syndrome" for a rabbitry name? Since I've already been talked into joining the breed club, I figure it might be time to do the ARBA thing as well.

Back