Broken x Broken

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovehome

Reaction score
I am looking at a pedigree for a rabbit I just bought, and noticed a Broken was bred to a Broken and produced a self. Is this possible?

In another broken to broken breeding on this pedigree, a charlie is produced which is what I expected.

I have bred broken to broken and the result have been varied. Some litters have multiple charlies but I have also had selfs produced, especially when the broken parents are broken self black, blue, chocolate, lilac, tort, seal, etc.]
Since each broken parent carries both a Broken gene {En] and a solid gene [en] then the resulting kits can be any combination
Enen broken
enen solid
EnEn charlie

__________ Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:16 pm __________

Yes. A broken has 1 spotting gene and 1 solid gene. 2 spotting genes makes charlies. These can have minor health issues and are DQ because of lack of markings. Generally you cross a broken to a solid that comes from lines with well marked brokens in order to avoid charlies. Sometimes though brokens are bred together for various reasons. When that happens the odds are 50% broken, 25% solid, and 25% charlie offspring. Breeding a broken to a solid also gets you 50% broken offspring but the other 50% is all solids so breeding broken to broken doesn't actually gain you more show quality animals unless you don't have any solids around with good backgrounds to put in your broken breeding program.

Thanks for that explanation. Much appreciated since I'm still learning about the genetics part.

Back