Broken Tail?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
So I feel like you guys are freinds, and so many of you are very smart with animals. Some even are dog people.

So here is a horrible confession.

I shut my dog's tail in the door, and I think it broke. I didn't mean to. I really didn't. :cry:

His tail is limp from about halfway down, and we have NO money right now for the vet. I have no idea what I would do if his leg broke, I Just don't know.

I have looked it up, but only found that I need to go to the vet. Does anyone know what I should do? How long it'll take to heal? Is he going to lose his tail?

Any help or suggestions are very welcome.

IF IT WAS MY DOG I WOULD WRAP IT IN A SPLINT COUPLE OF FLAT PIECES OF WOOD AND AN ACE WRAP. I HAVE HAD TO LEARN TO DO THAT STUFF BECAUSE A FARMR DOESNT ALWAYS HAVE MONEY FOR A VET.

I know how bad you must be feeling, Shara... but accidents do happen. I would think worst case scenario would be that the tail had to be docked. But apparently broken tails often heal okay on their own or with the help of a splint. This link may be helpful... I hope so!

http://www.dolforums.com.au/lofiversion ... 22973.html

Same here... a couple of popsicle sticks, a split shim, or a few straight twigs -- anything straight; an ace bandage, some gauze, some medical tape, or even some twine. If there is any broken skin, put some antibiotic ointment on it before you wrap it, and check it from time to time.

If you broke a toe, that's pretty much what they would do... put ice on it, wrap it and the toe next to it to a splint, and send you home.

At worst, he might have a little kink in his tail for the rest of his life, but once the soreness is gone, he won't care. :) Spoil him with some treats, and he'll be happily wondering what all the fuss is about.

Thanks guys! He seems to be okay (other than hurting). He's been hiding out all day, and laying down, not hopping around or anything. His tail flops side to side :cringe: but he seems ok. Doesn't want a splint, so, since it doesn't look or behave terribly, and I don't care about kinks that much, I decided to just let it be, and watch it. Poor dog. He was crying so loud, took me a minute to figure out why, too. ugh. I feel so bad for him.

I am REALLY watching little poop, though, since he is two and likes to grab the dog. I don't think Koda would bite Caelin, but in pain, you never know.

hate to say it, but you should shave the tail to make sure that you don't damage the blood supply, if you, um, learn how to dock a tale, better a short wagger than a sick dog (blood poisoning)

I was just going to update. :D

He is doing well, his tail doesn't hurt anymore and he moves around. The only indication of anything is that it is slightly more curved and has a little knot in it. :)

He is going to be fine. :D :D

Shara":375b5sgy said:
I was just going to update. :D

He is doing well, his tail doesn't hurt anymore and he moves around. The only indication of anything is that it is slightly more curved and has a little knot in it. :)

He is going to be fine. :D :D
This is Wonderful news! Yay! :)

Latest posts

Back