Broken NZ update

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonkitten

Reaction score
Well my first broken litter is 5 weeks old now. We're down to three since one got dragged out of the nestbox and froze :(

So far I'm really pleased with the markings. I think they are very nicely balanced. The largest is a doe and will probably be a keeper. She has a few stray white hairs on her ears, but that's a fault not a DQ, so not terribly bad. The smallest is a buck and he has lovely black ears, but he's a little on the scrawny side, so I'm not sure. The middle sized one is also a doe and she has a fair scattering of white on her ears, so she'll likely not be staying.View attachment broken1.jpgView attachment broken2.jpg

They do seem nicely balanced. Nice kits they are. :)

I find overall getting a nicely marked broken is easier than a nicely marked harlequin.

Half Caper Farm":3a3pk0v8 said:
I'm guessing brokens are like Harlequins - you're lucky to get one showable out of a litter?

Shame about the kitsicle. :(

Brokens are alot easier to get than a perfectly marked harlequin! :lol:

As long as you follow rules like breeding a broken to solid, you usually never have a problem.

Nice looking kits :) I like the broken NZ look!

Half Caper Farm":2rb1iqt3 said:
I'm guessing brokens are like Harlequins - you're lucky to get one showable out of a litter?

Oh no, brokens are MUCH easier to get a "showable" rabbit. Perfect broken markings are probably just as rare, but the requirement is much looser for a broken than a harlequin.

All three of these are showable, just not perfect. To be DQ'd, a broken would need to be missing all colour on the nose, eyes or ears. Even a small amount of colour on nose, eyes and ears will be showable, but the more balanced and clear the colour, the better. The body must have between 10% and 50% colour -- again, pretty easy to get. The better balanced the body colour, the better the rabbit, but any colour within the required percentages will do.

And the colour needs to be consistent -- no tri-coloureds in NZ yet, so if it's a broken black, it must be JUST black and white hairs. A broken red should be JUST white with red and no stray black hairs.

Half Caper Farm":2j7ldkc5 said:
Interesting. :)

Was that "interesting" or "I'm interested"? :lol:

I mean, if you're giving up the lionheads to concentrate on meat breeds, why not bring a few NZ out to the shows too? That doe on the right will be up for grabs at some point :mrgreen:

HAHAHAHA

we should have a special badge for the enablers on the board ... MK - you just earned yours ;)

Brody":1n4ywn5w said:
we should have a special badge for the enablers on the board ... MK - you just earned yours ;)

Woo hoo!!! I've got a badge, I've got a badge :wbounce:

moonkitten":2uulaebc said:
Half Caper Farm":2uulaebc said:
Interesting. :)

Was that "interesting" or "I'm interested"? :lol:

I mean, if you're giving up the lionheads to concentrate on meat breeds, why not bring a few NZ out to the shows too? That doe on the right will be up for grabs at some point :mrgreen:

OK :lol: Consider me "enabled". Might as well have "pretty" meat rabbits!

HCF - you get the QUEEN of enablers award - glad to see you being enabled too :)

Well, I am trying to increase my meat herd, and I see people asking $25 for crossbred does . . . I figure I might as well have some nice rabbits that I can show. :D

And of course, if I'm going to breed NZs, I'm going to need a buck to go with the does . . . ;)

Half Caper Farm":2zeg99t7 said:
And of course, if I'm going to breed NZs, I'm going to need a buck to go with the does . . . ;)

Oh, oh, oh, I know how to fix this one..... If you promise to start showing NZ, I'll even toss in a buck. I've got this lovely pedigreed, show quality black boy that is related to almost all of my does (although not the broken litter :D ) that needs to find a home. I haven't got the heart to put him in the freezer, so he's been sitting here idle for 6 months while I try to find a show or show breeder home for him.View attachment rks.jpg

I haven't got the heart to put him in the freezer, so he's been sitting here idle for 6 months while I try to find a show or show breeder home for him.

I thought perhaps you might have a buck or two laying around. :lol:

Deal!

Might as well have "pretty" meat rabbits!

Oh no - it makes it tooooo hard and you also will feel very much more obligated to work up the skins.
We just weaned 2 litters of our lynx Palomino crossed on our black Silver Marten does....this will be a very hard group to put in the freezer. (did I mention we have a roll of cage wire ordered :roll:)
B~

Pretty bunnies! I have a broken Brazilian doe that has some of the same markings, but not as extensive. I can't wait to see what colors of kits she gives me (buck is frosted white).

Briza":hx79rtu8 said:
Might as well have "pretty" meat rabbits!

Oh no - it makes it tooooo hard and you also will feel very much more obligated to work up the skins.
We just weaned 2 litters of our lynx Palomino crossed on our black Silver Marten does....this will be a very hard group to put in the freezer. (did I mention we have a roll of cage wire ordered :roll:)
B~

I'm already butchering Harlequins, so that's not going to bother me! :lol:<br /><br />__________ Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:13 am __________<br /><br />
Brody":hx79rtu8 said:
OMG - he's BEAUTIFUL...

Mine! :jedai:

:lol:

Back