Breeding VM choc otter with magpie?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zambianmeat

Reaction score
What colours might l I get if I breed my VM choc otter buck with a sable magpie or blue magpie? I'm new to genetics and it's hard for me to get down... I'm a little slow :(
Thank you in advance!!

Unless your chocolate otter buck or one of the does carries some common recessives, you could just end up with chestnut agouti (castor) with a possibility of vienna marked kits. I know this sounds crazy considering the rarer colors you have, but chocolate otter is a(t)_bbC_D_E_ while sable magpie is A_B_c(chl)_D_e(j)_ and blue magpie is A_bbc(chd)_dde(j)_. Unless one of the does carries self 'a' or chocolate 'b' or the buck carries dilute, chin, or wideband, then the dominant genes of A_B_C_D_E_ will be the only ones to show.

Sorry if confusing, I had to type this out really quick. :)

Mini Lop Fan":1veabv7v said:
Unless your chocolate otter buck or one of the does carries some common recessives, you could just end up with chestnut agouti (castor) with a possibility of vienna marked kits. I know this sounds crazy considering the rarer colors you have, but chocolate otter is a(t)_bbC_D_E_ while sable magpie is A_B_c(chl)_D_e(j)_ and blue magpie is A_bbc(chd)_dde(j)_. Unless one of the does carries self 'a' or chocolate 'b' or the buck carries dilute, chin, or wideband, then the dominant genes of A_B_C_D_E_ will be the only ones to show.

Sorry if confusing, I had to type this out really quick. :)

Thank you so much for helping me!!! Very useful. :) Also, I just posted another question LOL... I’m trying to produce VM choc chinchillas. Do you think I’d get any if I breed my VM chinch to a choc Sallander (possible VC, her dad is a VM) ???

Mini Lop Fan":2phkjxgz said:
The genotype of a Chocolate Sallander is: aabbc(chd)_D_ee and the genotype of the VM chin is A_B_c(chd)_D_E_. Only if your VM chinchilla carries chocolate, 'b', will you be able to get chocolate chinchilla.
For a reference to almost any genotype, here is a great resource with pictures: http://www.gbfarm.org/rabbit/holland-co ... trix.shtml

Thanks for the link, I saved it and I’m gonna read it tonight!

I asked the breeder if the VM chinch is a choc carrier. This is what she said— “Not that I'm aware of. Victor Von Doom had a broken chocolate in his background but that doesn't make him a carrier.“

Victor Von Doom is the dad, obviously. I guess that REALLY narrows the likelihood of getting a choc chinch... :( Do you think I’m better off with just waiting for a choc chinch doe to come around before getting the sallander? Please share your thoughts.

If you do some line breeding, it would definitely work to use the sallander. So let's say you breed the sallander x chin, your most likely result will be a black chin, but that black chin will carry some fun recessives! It would be AaBbc(chd)_D_Ee. So, if you kept back one buck from the sallander and breed him to her, you would get chocolate chin, chocolate sallander, and some black chin.

However, this is just the color aspect. Before breeding for color, type should be your most important goal! And with that in mind, you may not get a buck from the litter that complements your doe. What breed are you working with? And may I ask why specifically your are wanting chocolate chin? If you are doing it to get a chocolate chin line, it is best to keep it to chin only to keep out rufus (which could come from the sallander with a wideband--orange, 'ee,' background) factors that will give your chins annoying smut.

Checkout this website for color crossing rules: http://mr-colors.tripod.com/ This is what they said about breeding chin, "Chinchilla...are Agouti colored rabbits that lack the orange or red band on the hair shaft. Chinchilla to Chinchilla is best, however, they could be bred to Blacks or less desirably to blue. Do not breed them to Castor, Lynx, Opal or Red, as traces of the orange color will remain for generations. They should also never be bred to any shaded rabbits such as a Himalayan."

Mini Lop Fan":1xg9w4ec said:
If you do some line breeding, it would definitely work to use the sallander. So let's say you breed the sallander x chin, your most likely result will be a black chin, but that black chin will carry some fun recessives! It would be AaBbc(chd)_D_Ee. So, if you kept back one buck from the sallander and breed him to her, you would get chocolate chin, chocolate sallander, and some black chin.

However, this is just the color aspect. Before breeding for color, type should be your most important goal! And with that in mind, you may not get a buck from the litter that complements your doe. What breed are you working with? And may I ask why specifically your are wanting chocolate chin? If you are doing it to get a chocolate chin line, it is best to keep it to chin only to keep out rufus (which could come from the sallander with a wideband--orange, 'ee,' background) factors that will give your chins annoying smut.

Checkout this website for color crossing rules: http://mr-colors.tripod.com/ This is what they said about breeding chin, "Chinchilla...are Agouti colored rabbits that lack the orange or red band on the hair shaft. Chinchilla to Chinchilla is best, however, they could be bred to Blacks or less desirably to blue. Do not breed them to Castor, Lynx, Opal or Red, as traces of the orange color will remain for generations. They should also never be bred to any shaded rabbits such as a Himalayan."

Type is always my priority!! I’m working with Holland’s. I want to get choc chins because I think they’re gorgeous. I do plan on having a chocolate chin line... Which means once I breed the Sallander (possible VC) to her black chin buck, I shouldn’t breed her to any of their offspring correct? Because it would give my chins litter a smut colour.

On another note— once I have my choc chin(s), I can breed it to a BEW... which means I’ll get some VM choc chins. Correct? But I’d only do that if they’re completely solid choc chins. I should have some VM offspring since the very first dad is a VM and the mark will probably get passed down? Sorry if I’m confusing. I myself am a little confused with all the possibilities. I’m still reading a bunch of articles/guides.

Back