breeding stock choices again

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We're looking for another doe or two to breed next year and have some questions. Some I've asked before but didn't get an answer (perhaps because I ask too many questions at a time? :) )

We have 2 does that we started breeding in 2015 and bred again this year along with a couple junior does. We're pleased with them and both are bred again for fall litters and we plan to breed them again next year. They are now 2 year olds and had 3 litters each last year and the same this year if fall litters arrive as expected. How long should we expect to be able to keep breeding them at that age and rate of breeding?

We've kept one doe from one litter and will keep one or two from another that is due for freezer camp in about a week. These were selected for general health and being above average in their litter. At what age should we be able to assess them for pinched hips, long neck or other meat rabbit faults? We still lack confidence about assessing a rabbit's build. :oops:
Lastly color which I acknowledge is much less important since we're raising for meat and not processing pelts. But I find I do enjoy seeing different colors in the litters. Started with a blue SF buck and NZW does and all kits were black with some showing gold-tipped steel. Breeding black does from this cross back to the SF buck we got a mix of black and blue kits. Kept a blue buck from those litters and a couple blue does. The new blue buck bred back to the black does produced blue, black and white kits. Breeding the blue to the blue produced blue with a couple whites. Dood (the color expert on here) said that we wouldn't get black from blue bred to blue. My question--is black possible if we bred blue to a white doe from our current mutts?

In threads on line breeding I've read that the herd comes to look very similar over time. Does that mean that if we line breed we'll end up with all one color? If so, blue is my favorite. And I wouldn't want to choose color over health or temperament or good growth and meatiness.

Thanks, all, for your patience and your help :)

How long should we expect to be able to keep breeding them at that age and rate of breeding?
It really depends on the line and health of the rabbit - they might have smaller litters, but you can probably still breed them at that rate until they are 4 or 5 years ago (though I may be off, the breed I mainly raise isn't a meat breed). You'll know when you need to give them more between litters when it starts taking them longer after the babies are weaned to gain their good condition back.

At what age should we be able to assess them for pinched hips, long neck or other meat rabbit faults?
Also depends on the line, because each line matures differently. You can see some of the major problems on 2 month old kits - small size, very poor shoulders, etc, but sometimes it takes 3-6 months, or more, to be able to accurately see all the faults. With pinched hips you can tell on a rabbit rather young - flip it over, and if it's rear legs (or rather, hocks) are in a V, it may have pinched hips - if they are parallel and set wide apart, the rabbit probably has better HQ. Additionally, if you are breeding for a line to be butchered at a certain, you may want to breed for rabbits that have ideal meat characteristics - at that age, and not at maturity, so it's really your decision.

My question--is black possible if we bred blue to a white doe from our current mutts?
Unless the white is out of two blues (or out of whites that likely genetically blues), black is possible

Does that mean that if we line breed we'll end up with all one color?
That can happen sometimes, but you have ultimate control over the color. Linebreeding can make recessive colors show up more often too - if you are okay with having just one color, and you don't choose at all for color, then you'll likely end up with one or two colors.

Latest posts

Back