Breeding mini lop with....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEP board

Reaction score
Probably a silly question so bear with me :)

I know that I can breed my Mini Lop buck with my English Lop does, but what about a rabbit who's ears stand up like a Florida white or whatever?

Thank you. <br /><br /> -- Sun May 01, 2016 3:47 pm -- <br /><br /> There are also NZ whites in my area. Can a Mini and a NZ mix okay? Thanks again.

Short answer...rabbits are rabbits. Any breed (domestic rabbits) can be bred with any other. The main rule is that the buck shouldn't be substantially larger than the doe- it can lead to larger kits with which the doe can have issues kindling. Otherwise, go for it.

I don't raise lops, but I believe the kits may or may not have lopped ears if bred with a non-lop variety. And if you're looking for meat rabbits, NZW are a good choice.

Many thanks :)

I believe I've got a source for one in my area. According to the CL ad they are almost 2 1/2 months old. That will be a nice addition then to what I already have.

Miss M":avtj8wky said:
I used to breed our Minilop buck to a NZW that was given to us. :)

Good results I'm assuming? Were the ears up or down? Were they generally bigger than the ML when they were grown?

lop ears is a genetic thing. first generation crossing will get you some half flopped down ears, some airplane ears (fallin over but not all the way down), and fully upright ears.

what makes the ears flop is the cartilage isn't strong and supportive. thus the ears flop down instead of being more rigid and upright. even within the lop breeds there is some degree of variation.

Where in Florida are you? Tallahassee area by any chance? I've got Florida Whites and New Zealands. Also currently have a Holland Lop doe bred to my Florida White buck, lol.

Back