breeding info book?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelsummer

Reaction score
ok i was thinking if i bred the rabbits i need to write it down some where so how do you all keep it straight i was thinking a small note book for each doe in a box on the cage. but what are your ideas?

When I first started for a little while, I just used a single subject notebook and used a different page for each doe. Then I used Excel on my computer and would back it up or print it out from time to time, but now I use Evans (which I love, but it is pricey).

Hope this helps,

Lauren

Personally I'm all for computerized records. I've downloaded several free pedigree programs and have been trying them. Somewhere there is a thread on various ones. You can also get free pedigree samples to print out and fill in by hand. One of the breeders I got rabbits from gave me pedigrees like that. All the hard copies of my pedigrees are in plastic slips in a binder which also includes my dog's registration papers and information such as shot records, proof of spay from the vet, and dog park forms. Then we have had one for the horses since I was about 10 with each horse having a slip that includes the same info.

A lot depends on how many rabbits you have and what you are doing with the kits. If you have purebred stock and are breeding for sale or show, detailed records are very important. If you just have a handful of meat mutts, providing some meat for your table, you should still keep records, but a casual jotting in a notebook may be enough.

I have an "everything book". Anything I want to keep track of about any subject from an email address to when I bred the rabbits gets jotted down in there. Works for me. My idea of a note about breeding the rabbits would be along the lines of "Alice to Jasper, July 20/10". I do have a more detailed anecdotal account of what is happening in the rabbitry and I keep this as a WORD document, but I admit I've let it lapse rather badly.

For keeping track of breedings I just downloaded a little calendar to my computer. On windows 7 or vista you can just right click the desktop and select add gadgets. I mark the day of breeding as "Twix x Mocha", then put down "add Twix nestbox" and "Twix due" on appropriate dates. It even as options for making an alarm go off or a pop up appear on those dates.

I use Evans Rabbit Register,
I would not be without it.
I feel that the cost is well worth every penny.
I also made a rabbit calender which I have by my computer.
On it is the day the rabbits were bred, their due date
and when to place the nestbox. Of course once the information
is placed into the Evans program, a reminder will appear when you
open Rabbit Register. I check my program daily.
I also print out a hard copy of each pedigree.
They are kept in a file cabinet, a folder for each color and sex.
I try to leave nothing to chance, even then I/you can slip up and lose your step.
Dennis, C.V.R.

kintraks! affordable for the small producer. i get all the info that I need. due dates, breed back dates, inbreeding, pedigrees, litter size.

only thing it doesn't give me is the genetic stuff...but with Evans you'd need to buy that as an add on anyways.

I can add whatever information I need re weights and what not if so desired.

No you do not!
The Evans rabbit register comes with the Genetics
if you just pay a few more $bucks$ at the get go.
If you go for the cheaper version without the Genetics
and you decide you want it later it will cost you MORE to add it.
Go the few extra dollars in the beginning Evans Rabbit Register
is more than worth it!
Dennis, C.V.R. :D

Latest posts

Back