Register

Breeding in the summer

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 530.00

Breeding in the summer

Post Number:#1  Unread postby SEP board » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:24 pm

I know many folks breed right after a kindle and that does are better off having many kindles a year. For those in the south, do you breed through the summer heat or stop for the summer and pick up again in the fall?

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: Breeding in the summer

Post Number:#2  Unread postby TheChad » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:31 pm

I started my first attempt this past weekend. I have them in a cool place under my back deck. I also made sure to get them from a breeder in my area so they are accustomed to the heat. He breeds year around in his large outfit.

I am taking some extra steps like frozen water bottles to make sure they are comfortable. If they didn't take this time, I will most likely wait till late august or early September to try again.

Hope that helps. :popcorn:

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,950.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby grumpy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:52 am

Keep all of your stock as cool as absolutely possible... good ventilation is a must.
Metered lighting keeps the does more receptive. With your bucks, any extended
periods above 85 degrees will render them temporarily sterile. If possible keep them
environmentally controlled @ around 70-74 degrees with metered lighting matching
the rest if the herd.

grumpy
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

The following user would like to thank grumpy for this post
michaels4gardens, Miss M, SixGun, TheChad

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 7,102.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:33 am

grumpy wrote:Keep all of your stock as cool as absolutely possible... good ventilation is a must.
periods above 85 degrees will render them temporarily sterile. If possible keep them
environmentally controlled @ around 70-74 degrees with metered lighting matching
the rest if the herd.

grumpy

Mine are in the shade. It's pretty cool where they are but they way the tree is allows shallow sunlight. I'm not sure if this is hindering my attempts at getting my rabbits pregnant or not but if it is I'd love to know!! :)
@Happydalerabbits on Facebook :)

BunnyBucks: 1,030.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby bigfoot_158 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:57 pm

grumpy wrote:Keep all of your stock as cool as absolutely possible... good ventilation is a must.
the rest if the herd.

grumpy

That for me atleast would get to expensive. I would have to give up om rabbits all together. :D
Have a Nice day
BigFoot

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 890.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Stephanie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:22 pm

I have 3 does. 2 have month old litters right now. The 3rd is due to kindle next Friday. I won't be breeding again until late August or early September. Then, I will be breeding all through next winter. I generally rebreed 3 or 4 weeks after kindling.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,950.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby grumpy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Only explaining my methods for keeping a 50-doe commercial herd producing.
If they don't produce.... I'm out of business. :x :x
Continual production is the key for a business with tight profit margins.
I'm not a fan of a fast rebreeding system... so the girls have it pretty easy
with five litters per year.
Grumpy
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

The following user would like to thank grumpy for this post
SixGun

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Post Number:#8  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:57 pm

Well I had some lady tell me it was gonna cost me $200 and months of waiting for a special wire just for the cages, that they are allergic to galvanized steel.. My "know-it-all" neighbor told me that they can die if they get a cut and they're on the galvanized steel they'll die from infection.. By this point I was almost in tears I was laughing so hard. My "know-it-all" neighbors doe almost killed my doe while they were temporarily housed together *There was no other option at the time*. Most of my does nails were nubs of bloody scars that had been chewed off and she had lost a lot of weight, and most of her fur was ripped out, she sat on galvanized steel in her cage... She didn't die of any infections.. I've never heard of a rabbit dying from infection from being on galvanized steel in their cage. The doe that almost got killed has since been fixed up and she's had a litter of 9 and is a wonderful mom and such a sweet girl!

BunnyBucks: 3,491.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby a7736100 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:49 pm

One way to keep a doe and litter cool is to keep in a pen on the ground. Let the doe dig and build a nest underground. The disadvantage is that you don't get to see the kids till they're at least 2 or 3 weeks old. You can check the doe's nipples to see if she's nursing.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby macksmom98 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:37 am

I bred one Doe this summer and brought her inside. I realize it's a commitment and we won't be putting her back out until early fall at the earliest, but just wanted to see how it works. So far she's acting like good. Last time she had 8, so if I want to get a good sized litter and have success I figured air conditioning was the best way to keep her comfortable.

Post Number:#11  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:18 pm

macksmom98 wrote:I bred one Doe this summer and brought her inside. I realize it's a commitment and we won't be putting her back out until early fall at the earliest, but just wanted to see how it works. So far she's acting like good. Last time she had 8, so if I want to get a good sized litter and have success I figured air conditioning was the best way to keep her comfortable.

As soon as I get the 3 more cages I'll be getting soon I'll be bringing in 3 of my does that way I have 4 in total inside as well as two bucks inside.. Hopefully I'll be able to keep breeding through the summer.. I have two does that I bred and then realized it was going to get hot. So I've been watching them closely and they're doing great seeing as they are in the shade..

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:37 pm

Heat sterility is definitely a big challenge for me... I tried breeding a couple times last year, but got nothing in the summer months. I have 3 does due this week (two of which are on their last strike anyway) so we'll see what happens.

I had rabbits when I was little living in Phx, AZ. They had a nice, roomy burrow in the garden... I was too young to know any different, and I guess my parent's didn't know either, but we brought the one lop eared buck with us when we moved to VA and he didn't make it long :cry: . He just couldn't handle the heat :(
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 12,998.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:21 pm

the rest if the herd.

grumpy

I agree with Grumpy-- without cool temps and good air circulation-- you will have a bad experience... I use drip system on the roof where I am now-- -- I have used swamp coolers and sprinklers on the roof -- if you can't keep them cool don't breed .
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
SixGun

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,212.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Homer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:03 am

I breed year round but...my rabbits are kept in my heavily insulated shop now days with heat and A/C. I got tired of my Flemish Giants dying in the heat. I didn't care much for frozen water in the winter either. That move took place over 10 years ago and never thought twice about it. :lol:
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

The following user would like to thank Homer for this post
michaels4gardens, SixGun

BunnyBucks: 14,845.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby GBov » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:16 pm

I breed year round, heat is hard adn so is cold. My buns are in the deep shade with built in wire nest cages. In the winter I wrap the nest cages with fabric and in the summer I let the air flow free.

Would LOVE a climate controlled building but no joy so far.

One thing about summer breeding, you produce rabbits better able to handle your own conditions and ANY latent health issues show up nice and quick so can be culled hard for or try another breed.

I loved having a colony setting with the does able to dig deep but when I started falling into burrows despite deeply dug pens AND got rats, I gave up and went to cages. One day will try the underground nest cage system.

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
SEP board

Next