Register

Breeding in the summer

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 4,439.00

Re: Breeding in the summer

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Preitler » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:29 pm

My Black Fury, one of my does, is pregnant now, and it's 33° C, no fun.

I gave them a big, flat stone, with styrofoam holding ice packs under it. I could not wait for fall, I'm not going to feed growouts through winter again. And I wouldn't have bred her if my Red hadn't lost the whole litter.

So, although they like the cold stone I think I'll put her into my house during the hottest days, it's cool here, the core well over 100 years old and some stone walls 70cm (two feet) thick. And she's housebroken.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 530.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby SEP board » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 am

GBov wrote:I breed year round, heat is hard adn so is cold. My buns are in the deep shade with built in wire nest cages. In the winter I wrap the nest cages with fabric and in the summer I let the air flow free.

Thank you for this post. I'm also in Florida. My cages are all wire as well and for the most part in the shade. They get a bit of sun towards the later part of the afternoon when the sun's heading towards the horizon. I'm considering the frozen water bottles and/or thinking of a additional way to extend the shade. Also thinking of a way to do some solar powered fans to really have air movement.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,845.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby GBov » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:22 am

SEP board wrote:
GBov wrote:I breed year round, heat is hard adn so is cold. My buns are in the deep shade with built in wire nest cages. In the winter I wrap the nest cages with fabric and in the summer I let the air flow free.

Thank you for this post. I'm also in Florida. My cages are all wire as well and for the most part in the shade. They get a bit of sun towards the later part of the afternoon when the sun's heading towards the horizon. I'm considering the frozen water bottles and/or thinking of a additional way to extend the shade. Also thinking of a way to do some solar powered fans to really have air movement.

As fast as you can!!! I lost most of a litter to a freaking sun beam, teh season had brought teh sun round to just shine through a tiny gap in my sun shade and the angle put it right into the nest cage. Afternoon sun is the worst. Morning sun I dont worry much about, the buns that get some of that seem to enjoy it.

Keep your fan clean, I have blown a few of them through not getting the fur build up off when I should. :oops:

I have tried toilet tank tops for the buns and while they stay cool and some of them enjoy them, I find anything I give to the buns to help cool them off just get dirty so now its just shade and unlimited water.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 530.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby SEP board » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:04 pm

Appreciate you post. I added a frozen bottle to each cage today. We'll see how they like it. :)

__________ Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:46 am __________

Well mama doe went right to the frozen bottles and sat on them. So that's a win. The others didn't seem interested but it was towards the end of the day and not as hot as mid-day. We'll keep that going through the summer. Still looking to do some sort of fan set up. They get plenty of ventilation as their open wire cages, but some sort of continuous flow would be nice as well.

__________ Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:04 pm __________

I've done both the frozen water bottle and a dog dish with ice cubes and water. The buck could care less about either. One doe dumps out the water within minutes. But the mama and buns like both. So over all it's a win. A few more weeks of really hot and then it will hopefully start to calm down a bit once September rolls around. I'll see about breeding the three does here this week as that will put them into September when they deliver.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby osagebunny » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:50 pm

I know this is a older thread, but I have a question. We're doing the frozen bottle and fan thing. My question is, how do you think heat and humidity affect conception and carry rates? I know that it can make the buck temporarily heat sterile, but I wondered if it would make the does reabsorb? But I also don't want to be standing in knee-deep snow butchering.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Post Number:#21  Unread postby GBov » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:54 pm

I know from raising rabbits down here in Florida, I breed year round. If a buck cant do the job in the heat, I try another buck.

But I also keep them all in the deepest shade I can find so that might be the difference between heat sterile and fertile?

Having all new buns to start with after the move, I am interested to see if Thunder can do the job. Two of the girls lifted for him so we shall see. Three and a half weeks and counting.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 2,681.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:06 pm

My last litter was born on July 5th, and although my rabbits are in climate controlled housing (It's in the 100s every day out of doors) I've noticed smaller litters in the last few. Winter averaging 9 per litter, now I'm averaging 6 over the summer. But I'm not complaining.
English, French and Satin Angoras

Post Number:#23  Unread postby GBov » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Sixgun, have you noticed that spring/summer kits hit sexual maturity earlier than autumn/winter kits?

My last herd showed that trend very strongly. The difference could be as much at 4 to 12 weeks sooner from teh first group.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#24  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:10 pm

GBov wrote:Sixgun, have you noticed that spring/summer kits hit sexual maturity earlier than autumn/winter kits?

My last herd showed that trend very strongly. The difference could be as much at 4 to 12 weeks sooner from teh first group.

You know, now that you mention it, yes, I had to separate grow outs earlier than I ever have before. The boys were downright nasty with each other. I'd never had an issue with 3 or 4 months old being together, but I did with the litter from late April.

Post Number:#25  Unread postby GBov » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:18 am

SixGun wrote:
GBov wrote:Sixgun, have you noticed that spring/summer kits hit sexual maturity earlier than autumn/winter kits?

You know, now that you mention it, yes, I had to separate grow outs earlier than I ever have before. The boys were downright nasty with each other. I'd never had an issue with 3 or 4 months old being together, but I did with the litter from late April.

Yep, that's what happened to me. It got to the point that I would look for fur under the cages every morning to tell me when to move the fryers out rather than what week it was.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#26  Unread postby SixGun » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:10 pm

GBov wrote:
SixGun wrote:

Yep, that's what happened to me. It got to the point that I would look for fur under the cages every morning to tell me when to move the fryers out rather than what week it was.

It happened to you too? That's crazy! So, I wonder if earlier hormones means a better dress out ratio or worse. Or no effect. These guys seemed to gain better than some previous litters, although..... thats completely anecdotal, as I don't have weights to prove it.

Post Number:#27  Unread postby GBov » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:37 pm

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't weigh their dress outs. :oops: :lol:

Site Supporter

Post Number:#28  Unread postby SixGun » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:41 pm

GBov wrote:I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't weigh their dress outs. :oops: :lol:

I really should. I mean... its just one little step, that I so often don't do.

Post Number:#29  Unread postby GBov » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:38 am

SixGun wrote:
GBov wrote:I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't weigh their dress outs. :oops: :lol:

I really should. I mean... its just one little step, that I so often don't do.

One little step added to the dozen or three little steps with butchering is some times a step too far! :lol: But as I am now doing a Mini Rex meat project, I will MAKE myself do that last step.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#30  Unread postby SixGun » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:37 pm

I should as well. I mean, if you're butchering out, and you have a meat breed, or a meat project, then it really is an important step. I'm much better on processing days, versus individuals that get culled.

PreviousNext