Breeding an Orange and a Chestnut Netherland Dwarf???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpmorgens

Reaction score
Hi, We are new to breeding.. still awaiting my Standards of Perfection book... Anyhow, I only have an Orange buck, hoping to one day get an Orange doe. In the meantime, I have a gorgeous, very typey Chestnut (VM) doe who seems to have some orange color to her. I wonder if this is a good idea.. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

If you are correct in your assessment that you have an Orange and a Chestnut, breeding them is a good first step towards getting an Orange doe.
I believe the phenotype for an Orange is A_, B_, C_,D_,ee.
The phenotype for a Chestnut is A_, B_, C_,D_,E_.

If your Chestnut doe is Ee, then there is a chance you could get some orange kits. However, at the very least, all of the resulting kits will carry the non-extension gene "e". If you breed one of those does back to the Orange buck you could get some orange kits; since you know that particular doe would carry a non-extension "e".

Bonus if it's a Chestnut doe! The more dominant genes in the A-D genes the higher the chance you'll end up with an Orange

Same as Kenosha. Those should result in chestnut, possibly orange. You say the doe is VM. You will get VM or VC kits from that. If you are interested in showing/selling you will have to market kits as Vienna carrier just in case.

Chestnut to orange isn't a problem is you are wanting to make more oranges (the chestnut babies out of an orange x chestnut cross will most likely have a bit of muddy banding on the hairshaft, so not ideal for showing, but can be bred back to an orange to get good oranges). However, the Vienna gene there poses a problem. I wouldn't do it, if you are breeding for oranges

Thanks to all. The information was very helpful, and very encouraging!!! Cannot wait to breed my new rabbit...

Back