Breeding a harlequin to a broken orange vs tri

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crhidy

Reaction score
My buck is a harlequin (harlequin x Sable point)
I'm considering getting a broken orange doe (orange x unsure at this moment).

I have been going over rabbit genetics, but I am not easily coming to the answer. Not an answer I am confident in, at least.

What can I get from this cross? What about a tri?

I'm asking because there's a possibility of a tri doe in the future, but I am extremely limited on space, so I have to choose wisely.

Thank you! <br /><br /> __________ Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:43 pm __________ <br /><br /> Mom is broken tort, I just found out

From the information given, it sounds like the buck has a genotype of: AaB_C_D_e(j)e and the Doe had a genotype of AaB_C_D_ee. (Just as a side note, I used to have a pairing just like that :) )

You have a 50% chance of harlequin based and 50% chance of orange ('ee') based. You will most likely get black Harlequin, black/orange tri-color, and orange with a small chance of black tortoise and self black. Harlequin and Orange will be the dominant color in this pair up, but you have a very high chance of tri-color as well.

Thank you!

I'm wondering what could happen with a tri. I would love to get both, but fear I was pushing it 3 rabbits ago with household tolerance and space.

Now that I have been digging in to the genetics of it, I see I will need more space asap! I love dog genetics and once tried with himi Peruvian and texel cavies, but the gene pool was so tiny I couldn't get sturdy enough stock.

Thank you again!

you might not get tri if the doe doesn't carry tri.
You'd be more likely to get harlequin.

If the orange is out of tort lines, with the sable in the background you'll get shaded buns of some sort.
If you have tort anywhere in a line it tends to pop up rather easily. :)

if you want to get tri offspring... get tri. OR get a doe that carries Tri in her background.
If you want a mixed jumble, get whatever doe you want. :)

Just to clear things up, as I guess I forgot to mention it. Tri is technically a broken harlequin. So with the broken orange doe (Enen=Broken) she will pass down the broken gene to her kits. If a kit gets both the harlequin and broken gene (genetic code would be A_B_C_D_e(j)_ Enen) you will get tri.
Sorry if I didn't explain that well. :D Here is an article that delves deeper into the broken gene: http://www.hoppinherdofhares.com/vienne ... nloci.html

That's a great resource! Thank you again everyone.
Ill be getting the broken orange doe for sure.

My buck is a harlequin (harlequin x Sable point)
I'm considering getting a broken orange doe (orange x unsure at this moment).

I have been going over rabbit genetics, but I am not easily coming to the answer. Not an answer I am confident in, at least.

What can I get from this cross? What about a tri?

I'm asking because there's a possibility of a tri doe in the future, but I am extremely limited on space, so I have to choose wisely.

Thank you! <br /><br /> __________ Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:43 pm __________ <br /><br /> Mom is broken tort, I just found out
When breeding a japanese to a broken u have a goid chance for tri

Okay, there is one thing more recessive than harlequin, and that is orange. So, there is a good chance of getting harlequin offspring from a harlie x orange mating. Tricolor is broken + harlequin, and broken is dominant. So, this seems like a good choice for a mating to get some potential tri babies, as both harlequin and broken are dominant in this case. The actual offspring colors will also be dependent on any hidden recessives that the parents may be carrying.

Back