Breeding a broken to a broken?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oando

Reaction score
Is it ok to breed a broken rabbit to another broken? If so will all the kits have broken patterns? Or what will their patterns look like?
I was thinking about keeping my (now 7 week old) broken Lionhead buck and breeding him to my broken Lionhead doe when he is old enough.
I can post pictures of both of them if that help
Thank you

Speaking strictly from the simplified statistics I've seen on achieving good brokens, breeding a broken to another broken should result in 25% solid coloring, 50% broken patterns, and 25% charlies. This is because the genotype for "broken-ness" is heterozygous, so the solids are a result of 2 dominant alleles, brokens are 1 dominant and 1 recessive allele, and charlies are 2 recessive alleles. If you were to breed a solid to a charlie you would get 100% brokens, but I've read that charlies can have some health issues. And those aren't the rabbits you have. But you'll get more broken kits than solids, theoretically speaking! :D <br /><br /> -- Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:14 pm -- <br /><br /> I apologize, I believe the aforementioned alleles are actually switched. 2 dominant is charlie, 2 recessive is solid. The rest should still be fairly accurate though. :)

There are lots more people on this site better at genetics than I am, though. :oops:

Could you post a pic of a Charlie? and a broken for comparison if they look close to the same. I'm just wondering cause I bred to brokens together and I was figuring 75% Broke 25% Solid.

A charlie just looks like a mostly white broken (I believe the correct percentage is 10% colored or less). From pictures I've seen, they normally only have a little color around the nose (in a little mustache like Charlie Chaplin'so, hence the name), and maybe one or two little spots of color scattered on the back...

Thank you everyone for the info :)

Here is a picture of my broken doe and the young buck I am Thinikng of keeping. Both are a pretty orange color and have long fur. Do you think breeding them together (when he is old enough) will be a good idea?
What type of health problems can Charlie's have?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,749
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,749
Charlies can have megacolon which messes with their digestion and can cause death in severe cases. However, not every charlie will have it and it seems to vary from line to line. It might depend on how hardy your rabbits digestion is to start.

How cute the Charlie is. I palpated my lionhead and I believe I felt a kit. When I palpated Butterball I said there was 3-4 and wouldn't you know it out came four. It felt pretty big already so I feel like it could be any time now or any time in the next few days. They got together accidentally one day while I was cleaning their cage and had them in separated.So I rebred them the next day after I caught them going at it >o> Well I'm kinda excited to see what the outcome of all this is going to be.

I think it would need really purebred lines to get this issues, after well over 100 kits from broken rabbits there wasn't a single problem with charlies, they all thrieved. If I ever got real ones, since my motley bunch sure carries a lot of other stuff, I think I have at least 2 different kind of broken in my herd. And I still get things I've never seen before (need to make some pictures, and a thread about the last variety - which is close to that picture above, a broken fawn with blackish inner ears and nose...)

Preitler":cwnh86zp said:
I think it would need really purebred lines to get this issues, after well over 100 kits from broken rabbits there wasn't a single problem with charlies, they all thrieved. ..)

That is good to know. Thank you everyone so much for all the info :)

Preitler":cwnh86zp said:
And I still get things I've never seen before (need to make some pictures, and a thread about the last variety - which is close to that picture above, a broken fawn with blackish inner ears and nose...)
Let me know if you post a thread, I would love to see the pictures :)

ButtonsPalace":cwnh86zp said:
Well I'm kinda excited to see what the outcome of all this is going to be.
That is very exciting!

Ok so here's Grandma; She's a NZW/Standard Chin and she's an albino.
Butterball 1 (1).jpg

Here's her daughter (Harlem; also the mom of the possible charlie) who is showing some albinism in her pattern. It's like spots of white and her fur is lightening. As soon as her babies are bigger I'll drag her and in and toss her in the lightbox and take some good pics so you guys can get a better idea but for now here's this old pic of her >3< It shows how light she is sorta. although now her winter coat is coming in and she's almost white the gray is so pale but so far it's only about an inch above her solid white belly. She also have brown eyes with blue flecks in them. It looks like a mud puddle with blue skies poking through.
Harlem 4.jpg

This is the Dad. He's a Lionhead in what I believe to be broken black. He also has this cute black spot right on top of his tail that you can't always see unless his tail isn't up.
received_1764864807082423.jpeg

Is it possible he's a Charlie as well?

Butterball is the mom of Harlem and they both have the same dad. So Harlem's Dad is also her grandpa. For anyone who doesn't already know my dad told me Butterball was a boy when she was a baby so once a week I turned out all the bucks and my doe. I would put her in a dog cage with no base so she could enjoy outside and then the bucks were put in a bigger turn out pens. So then you know they would get jiggy but I never saw any get to the point of popping off but then again I also left them alone outside so... I had no idea Butterball was a female until about 2 weeks before she had babies.

Here's her daughter (Harlem; also the mom of the possible charlie) who is showing some albinism in her pattern. It's like spots of white and her fur is lightening.

The daughter of the albino rabbit is a chinchilla. Chinchilla removes the yellow/red pigment from the coat and is dominant to albino. The white areas you are seeing are areas that would normally be yellow/red on a chestnut rabbit but have had the yellow coloring removed. The gene mutation that causes chinchilla is not related to broken in any way. Therefore, if the chinchilla is the dam of the broken rabbit in question then it cannot be a true charlie as a true charlie must have two broken parents (or a broken and a true charlie parent).

Misread your post lol. Now I kinda have an inclination to keep him instead of sell him. Why did you do this? XD Maybe I'll sell him and then I'll rebreed the same buck and doe and hope for the same outcome.

Back