Register

Breeding a booted doe

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
BunnyBucks: 66.00

Breeding a booted doe

Post Number:#1  Unread postby madi_sway » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:34 pm

My friend has a booted Dutch/lionhead rabbit she has bred to a REW New Zealand. She has one white foot and a small snip on her nose. I know the REW can hide the broken gene, but my question is: could the booted doe produce more/full broken colored kits?

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,007.00

Re: Breeding a booted doe

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:39 pm

If its a dutch/lionhead, the markings are likely from the dutch gene (its incomplete dominant, so a single copy of dutch can make minimal markings like that snip and white foot). Snips are actually rather uncommon with booted rabbits. Since it's probably the dutch gene you're unlikely to get broken color kits from it but you might get some more with minimal dutch-like markings
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
madi_sway

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,195.00

Re: Breeding a booted doe

Post Number:#3  Unread postby akane » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:02 am

If it were broken then you always have at least a 50% chance of broken in each kit. That's not typical of minimally marked broken though. Like said it can be partial dutch markings that frequently have snips and varying white around the front feet, shoulders, or neck.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
madi_sway