Register

Breeder selling SICK bunnies

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 45.00

Breeder selling SICK bunnies

Post Number:#1  Unread postby dilyspr » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:40 am

A few months ago, I had TWO people that bought bunnies from me....AFTER they had bought bunnies from the same breeder in another town, only to have the bunnies die (from the other breeder) within days of each other, in different households. After asking them the standard questions...what feed do you use? what do you use for bedding? do you have any other animals in your house that are sick?etc., I figure this other woman was selling people SICK bunnies!

Talk about heartbreak for these people! I got the name of the other buyer and messaged her myself, asking if she had anymore bunnies for sale. She told me not at this time, but in a few weeks. After a few messages back and forth, I finally asked her if they were healthy or sick like the last bunnies she sold ....she never replied back! I contacted the moderator of the FB site she was posting on, explaining what happened. Hopefully, she was put to a stop.

I had them come out and see for themselves that all my bunnies (as well as chickens, dogs, cats..lol) are all happy and healthy. They went home with my bunnies...I asked them to let me know if they EVER have problems with them to contact me. I have NEVER had a bunny die once it let here.

Have a great day,
Dianne

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,853.00

Re: Breeder selling SICK bunnies

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 am

Dianne
I debated heavily on responding to this.....

I have had many litters in my barn, and in the spring and fall I seem to have an issue with bloat... this bloat issue seems to be tied to the season and that damp cool and extremes in temperatures (80 during the day and 40/50 at night)....

Personally, I think you are being a little harsh on the breeder.... I have purchased JR rabbits and had them bloat and die after I get them (due to stress of transport, different environment, different feed, stiff breeze) If you get a young rabbit under 12weeks, I think that bloat will always be a risk you take....

If she is selling rabbits that are blowing snot.... that is a whole other issue, but from your second-hand information, it doesn't sound like that was the issue....

Also, we need to take into account that some people will feed their new rabbits "treats" and spend a lot of time handling them when they get them... "treats" can have a very bad effect on the digestive system and the stress of the move combined with new environment and extra handling.. well, to me that is a recipe for the death of a young rabbit.

Just my 2cents.... but I feel there is too many factors and too much missing information to condemn a breeder in this situation.
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

The following user would like to thank SarniaTricia for this post
KimitsuKouseki, MaggieJ, Nymphadora, Silver Willow

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,273.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:51 am

I find this a very odd first post for a new member of a forum, Dianne. You seem to be blaming a breeder you have never met for something that other people say happened to the rabbits they bought from her.

You may be sincere -- a caring person who wants the best for all animals -- but I don't feel it was appropriate to contact this breeder and pretend an interest in buying rabbits under these circumstances. Of course she didn't answer when you asked her if the rabbits were "sick like the last bunnies you sold." Who would?

Rabbits are fragile animals and even under the best of circumstances can fall ill or die under the stress of going to a new home. Since you asked the buyers multiple questions about their care, I'm sure you also asked about the symptoms the rabbits exhibited, yet you did not mention a word of this in your post.

I am sorry to see you start off here by making vague and unsubstantiated complaints about another breeder with whom you have had no first-hand dealings, and I am uncomfortable seeing our forum used for this purpose.

MaggieJ
RabbitTalk Admin

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
SarniaTricia

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 400.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MeadowView » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:30 pm

I agree with the others.

I feel like you don't have the information you need to make a judgement call about a stranger's rabbits. Rabbits get sick sometimes. Sometimes there are underlying illnesses that don't crop up until rabbits are put in a stressful situation.

Furthermore, just a little friendly advice: the rabbit community is tight knit. Everyone knows everyone. You can have your opinions, but be careful, because before you know it one passing comment about a breeder you don't agree with can result in YOUR ruined reputation. Try to play things like this close to your chest unless you have the whole story, and even then, always address it privately before dragging them. Come from a helping place, not from a place of anger.

There's more to every situation than meets the eye.

The following user would like to thank MeadowView for this post
MaggieJ

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,740.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:41 pm

I agree with everyone's comments. I only want to add that you dont seem to know what that breeder is doing to compenssate those people.
I care for my bunnies rly well, but sometimes 1 very healthy bunny doesnt make it, I always replace the bunny with a new free one of their choosing when this happens. This has only happened twice since I started breeding rabbits by the way. I curently have in my bedroom the replacement bunny for a familly. He's very healthy and only waiting for his new familly to come pick him up.

The following user would like to thank KimitsuKouseki for this post
MaggieJ

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 45.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby dilyspr » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:58 pm

I apologize to everyone for attacking another breeder. I did not realize how harsh I sounded. I will curb my comments in the future about other breeders.

Sincerely,
Dianne

The following user would like to thank dilyspr for this post
MaggieJ

BunnyBucks: 36,115.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby akane » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:00 pm

I don't care about your comments. I care about your actions. You didn't just complain about a breeder. You reported another breeder and interrupted their operation with what looks like not knowing a thing. You asked nothing useful about their rabbits and did not face them directly about the issues except to come out of nowhere with no background and throw an off hand comment about sick rabbits they had no real way to answer since they had no idea your connection to their rabbits before taking actions against them that could have long term consequences for their source of finding buyers and possible other actions taken by those you talked to. Unless you have a ton more info about the health of their rabbits and the circumstances that makes a dangerous person. I've seen stupidity erupt over assumptions on FB and ended up with animal control stopping by here weekly until they couldn't find enough wrong to do anything but criticize my lifestyle choices right down to having hardwood floors instead of carpet for the "dust that will collect in the cracks". :roll: All done behind my back through a group on facebook after I posted asking for help with a health complication in one animal out of all the healthy ones and the assumptions and rumors flew. Animal control isn't always reasonable in some areas and FB groups are even less reasonable since they are constrained by few rules or laws. Send the wrong group after someone and grand champion breeders of quality rabbits have had their animals seized by animal control without properly following the law. It's not a minor thing these days. Someone has to be the first reasonable person to talk it out and get the correct information first instead of after creating chaos for others. If you know rabbits have been repeatedly dying, have seen poor care conditions that will definitely lead to illness, or that contagious disease has spread then you have a reason to take action. If all you know is some rabbits died of unknown causes in the hands of some other people you've got assumptions that need more information to act.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,740.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Akane, I understand your feelings on this matter, but for you or anyone that could be tempted to reply some more..... Let's just let this tread die ok? Let my post be the last one and lets just forget about all the negativity this post has brough.

The following user would like to thank KimitsuKouseki for this post
Maleficent, Ozarkansas, SarniaTricia, Winterwolf