Breed Specific Breeding Issues? (Checkereds)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
Well, Tallulah gave birth to a couple of babies today. Day 28 is on Thursday, and the two that she had were sort of undeveloped - their ears were very small and thin and they didn't have those little baby toenails. I took them to a neighbor's and fostered them to a slightly older litter. I think one might make it, he was throwing a hissy fit the whole way over there and trying to throw himself out of my shirt, but the other was very slow and wasn't doing well. Tallulah is still full of babies, I can feel them.

What is going on?! For y'all who weren't around when this happened, my last Checkered doe, Pepper, died from a retained fetus and aborted babies at 5 weeks that were around 3 weeks of development. Luna, my other doe, didn't have a successful litter until not too long ago, and she squished them all.

This is frustrating.

The lack of toenails suggests premature kits to me. I have no idea when they actually develop, mind you. (Oh, duh- you stated that they are 2 days early) :? :oops:

I think you'll have your best outcome if she somehow stops labor and delivers later.

Are Checkereds pretty uncommon? Is it possible that people will breed poor producers because of the scarcity of the breed, just to get a Checkered, ANY Checkered? If so, I see a future project for you, if y'all and your new boots are willing... :)

Sorry about all your trouble with the CG's- I've been excited for you, and have been eagerly awaiting pics myself, so I know this must be a terrible let down for you. Have your AFVHB give you a big squeeze for me. And tell him to hand you his hanky... or at least a tissue.

I don't think checkereds as a rule have problems. My crosses pop out 10-14 without fail so long as my 8lb meat mutt buck can get his lazy butt up there on a rather wild hormonal giant breed doe. The only breeding difficulty I've found is their known tendency to be pushy and aggressive and my lazy buck.

If they are from the same breeder or related it's very possible the line has kindling issues or all checkereds in your area do if they are a bit isolated. I have that problem with creme d'argent here. The population got too isolated and aside from a few good breeders a state away they all have problems to the point breeders in this state crossed in to NZ to try to fix them. Other areas of the country do not have that problem with cremes. Breeds become quite regional and can't always be compared across different areas of the country.

Back