Register

Breed for Both Meat and Fur

Discussion of fur breeds, tanning pelts, using the furs, marketing.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,255.00

Re: Breed for Both Meat and Fur

Post Number:#16  Unread postby GBov » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:12 am

Interesting enough, if you are not feeding lots of people (like my three teenagers :roll: ) rabbit meat, lion heads make fantastic fur. As I work through my backlog of dried hides I keep coming across the odd LH and they always make me go ooooooooooooh lovely!

And they are a chunky little beast with a nice dress out rate.

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
DoozyWombat

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 7,390.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Sagebrush » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:06 pm

Just my 2 bits as well. I used to cross out Rex with Dutch for both meat and fur. The two breeds would make the densest fur I have come across and a 5 lb rabbit at 10 weeks had an average dress out of 4.5 lbs. I miss my little meat bricks. Once we are more settled where we have a bit of land, I am so going to get some more Rex does and a Dutch buck. I found that made the best cross for me.

The following user would like to thank Sagebrush for this post
DoozyWombat

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Post Number:#18  Unread postby GBov » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:30 pm

Sagebrush wrote:Just my 2 bits as well. I used to cross out Rex with Dutch for both meat and fur. The two breeds would make the densest fur I have come across and a 5 lb rabbit at 10 weeks had an average dress out of 4.5 lbs. I miss my little meat bricks. Once we are more settled where we have a bit of land, I am so going to get some more Rex does and a Dutch buck. I found that made the best cross for me.

You are right about the outcrossing Rex making thick fur, they go great with New Zealand as well, nice dress out and fantastic fur.

It was funny with my Rex, I had a problem with longer guard hair on the shoulders of some of mine and while I managed to cull that fault out, I have a NZ Rex hide from that period that has the normal length fur for NZ, with the ultra thick fur from the Rex cross AND with extra long guard hairs on the shoulder areas. It's a funny hide, that one. :lol:

Another fantastic cross for meat is Angora x Rex. First generation gives ultra thick fur and a huge loin, much wider than any other I have ever produced.

DoozyWombat, Ferra

1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 75.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby DoozyWombat » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:15 am

Following up on this a year later...

Thanks again on all the good answers and advice.

I still haven't gotten my stock. In the process of moving out of a tightly-controlled neighborhood to a place with space for rabbits and chickens. Still thinking Silver Fox, but one of the later comments about out-crossing made me wonder if maintaining two different breeds and using the crosses for production animals would make more sense.

I love the Rex fur, but I'm concerned about its length, as well as the longer grow-out time. I'm not looking to do this commercially, so the longer time frame is less of a concern than getting really good fur from a meat rabbit. What I would really love is fur with the denseness of a Rex, but the length of a Silver Fox.

Sagebrush crosses Rex does with Dutch bucks. GBov crosses Angora x Rex, NZ x Rex.

Has anyone crossed (or seen a cross of) Silver Fox and Rex?

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,431.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:15 am

I have found... there is as many differences in lines of rabbits of the same breed, as there is between breeds.. Rex rabbits do not "always grow slow", or have "troublesome feet issues". Neither do Rex rabbits "always have prime fur" quality .

When choosing rabbits for your breed stock, be sure of the genetics of those rabbits. Check the weaning litter size, and growth rate . Also,closely check the parents and siblings of the stock you are considering, ..just to make sure you are not buying one exceptional rabbit, from a line of mediocre stock.

With all that said.. if you have great breed stock, with great fur... the crosses will grow faster, and most will have good fur quality.. but not consistent color, or fur type...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
DoozyWombat

Post Number:#21  Unread postby GBov » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:07 pm

I have two lines of Rex right now, both have good feet. One line has mega great fur, very nice indeed and the other has OK fur but has the colors I have hunted so long for, harlequin and tricolor so should be able to mix and match to produce the excellent fur quality with the color AND the good feets.

Having a goal makes breeding more fun somehow. :D

So what M4G said about finding good stock is good advice, ask questions of the breeder and if you don't like something about the rabbits you find, keep looking. Healthy mutts cheap are a better deal than high priced flawed purebred stock.

DoozyWombat

Previous