Register

Breed for Both Meat and Fur

Discussion of fur breeds, tanning pelts, using the furs, marketing.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 12,740.00

Re: Breed for Both Meat and Fur

Post Number:#16  Unread postby GBov » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:12 am

Interesting enough, if you are not feeding lots of people (like my three teenagers :roll: ) rabbit meat, lion heads make fantastic fur. As I work through my backlog of dried hides I keep coming across the odd LH and they always make me go ooooooooooooh lovely!

And they are a chunky little beast with a nice dress out rate.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 7,390.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Sagebrush » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:06 pm

Just my 2 bits as well. I used to cross out Rex with Dutch for both meat and fur. The two breeds would make the densest fur I have come across and a 5 lb rabbit at 10 weeks had an average dress out of 4.5 lbs. I miss my little meat bricks. Once we are more settled where we have a bit of land, I am so going to get some more Rex does and a Dutch buck. I found that made the best cross for me.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 12,740.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby GBov » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:30 pm

Sagebrush wrote:Just my 2 bits as well. I used to cross out Rex with Dutch for both meat and fur. The two breeds would make the densest fur I have come across and a 5 lb rabbit at 10 weeks had an average dress out of 4.5 lbs. I miss my little meat bricks. Once we are more settled where we have a bit of land, I am so going to get some more Rex does and a Dutch buck. I found that made the best cross for me.

You are right about the outcrossing Rex making thick fur, they go great with New Zealand as well, nice dress out and fantastic fur.

It was funny with my Rex, I had a problem with longer guard hair on the shoulders of some of mine and while I managed to cull that fault out, I have a NZ Rex hide from that period that has the normal length fur for NZ, with the ultra thick fur from the Rex cross AND with extra long guard hairs on the shoulder areas. It's a funny hide, that one. :lol:

Another fantastic cross for meat is Angora x Rex. First generation gives ultra thick fur and a huge loin, much wider than any other I have ever produced.

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
Ferra

Previous