Bred 2 rabbits and second delivered first?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shan_non

Reaction score
So I made a mistake. I did not keep track of the days I bred my 2 white new zealands. Super upset with myself.
Anyway, I bred them a week apart. The doe I bred a week later just had her litter yesterday. I am 90% positive my other doe is pregnant.
Why? She is as fat as a heffer and I really think I feel babies in there. She aborted her previous litter so this has me questioning what is going on?!
She has a nest made in back and I have seen her with her haystache bringing new hay back there. No fur pulled yet.

So, should I be worried they are stuck? She seems to be in good spirit and is eating/drinking.

What day from breeding did the second doe kindle? If she went a trifle early (Day 29-30) then the doe bred the week before would be late, but not enough yet to be worried. If she seems fine and is showing nesting behaviour, I'd let her be for now. Intervention is risky and if she was in labour, I think you'd know it. Don't be concerned that she hasn't yet pulled fur--a lot of does leave it until the last minute.

I do suggest that next time you breed them the same day, so you have options for fostering kits from one doe to the other if needed. And do put a notebook or calendar and pen in the rabbitry and make a note of the breeding while it is happening. (Or, if you're into all the electronics, sending yourself an email is a great way to ensure you don't forget something. I used to do this when at work when thinking of something I needed to do at home . . . or the other way about.)

Edited to add: It wouldn't hurt to give the doe still pregnant a calcium boost in the form of one or two TUMS antacid or another calcium carbonate antacid. Extra calcium can help prevent problems during kindling. Most rabbits seem to like the fruit-flavoured ones.

Thanks, MaggieJ. Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of either day. Definitely will email myself next time!
You made a good point that I would know if she was in labor. I guess I was worried labor wasn't kicking in.
She is my favorite doe so I am feeling anxious. I will continue to wait.. impatiently!

i always mark my breeding dates on my phone calendar, then make an event for nestboxes and due dates too. i also use bunny trails software, but having it on my phone means i'm less likely to forget since i always have it with me.

waiting for babies is so stressful! i always give them nestsboxes a day or two early because i like to see them haystache and make their nests ;P i'm the guy that's always palpating and counting down and constantly looking through the window to see if anyone's started pulling fur. i have two girls due tomorrow and i'm so impatient!

Thanks. Unfortunately, I discovered 8 scattered, dead kits this morning. It was chilly last night. I warmed them under a heat lamp and tried my damnedest to revive them. This was Lady's final chance. She is headed to a non-breeding 4h home tomorrow. Great for her, sad for me.

That is sad, Shan_non, and what a waste. :(Still, better than complications from retained kits or the kind of kindling where the doe's life is in danger.

I take it this was not her first lost litter. First-timers often don't do it right, but if this is a pattern for her, I agree she is not good breeding material.

She had a litter that died unexpectedly at 3 weeks in early 2016. Then she aborted 2 litters. I had hopes when this one went full term but she didn't follow through. They were all fat and healthy looking, very disappointing. But I agree, still better than complications with retained kits or does life.
So, I feel I have given her enough chances and it's time to move on. I have a silver fox due anyday. I will focus on her kits being healthy and -try- to be happy that Lady is going to a good home. Thanks again

Back