Boscoe's Bunny Biscuits!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
My first attempt at a rabbit treat was a HUGE success.

I put some wheat in my coffee grinder and ground it to sort of not quite flour, but not whole. Then I put a 1Tbls carrot in and whirred THAT up until it was pulpy/chunky. put the two things in a bowl, added enough apple cider to make it hold together without squeezing any liquid out - for the 1/2 cup of wheat I used 1 tbls applecider (I let it set for a minute)

I mashed it into tiny tins (I used things I bought to make chocolates in and 1 flat mini pie tin). Baked at 275 for 30minutes. The little ones were perfectly hard, and fell out of the tins. The larger one was still slightly soft in the center, so I left it in for another 10minutes. Then I cut the larger one up into 1/6ths like a pie.

I took them up and offered one to Peter (NWZ buck) He loved it. Mama-san grabbed hers after the first nibble from my hand and took it to a back corner where she could eat in quiet. Chcocolate bunny was eating one on my lap! FLB ate from my hand and let me PET HER while she was eating. chuck (angora buck) was terribly appreciative :)

Since there is so little apple cider and carrot in it, I figure it's a nice healthy treat :) I may try one with banana pulp next time. :bananadance2:

Awesome thanks!

I'll have to try this. It also sounds so much better then the last bunny treats I made (which involved using pellet fines, and that does not smell pleasant when you bake).

I've been thinking of selling bunny treats along side bunny manure at the farmers market :)

I baked up a whole batch of the nutritional rabbit treat recipe and Duncan hated them LOL He's so spoiled. I'll have to try this though, it sounds good and I have wheat groats too!

I'm starting to think that SIMPLE is what works best with animals. My dogs for instance. I make biscuits for them sometimes. I can put in this and that...all good in their own right...but the dogs will sniff and turn up their noses. BUT if I put just ONE thing in it (along with the grains to bind it)..they gobble them down.

with the rabbits (mine, anyway) it works the same way. I remembr maggie telling me the best treat for hers is a cube of stale hard whole grain bread. :)

Back