Blue Tort Otter ND

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GetYourGoat

Reaction score
Now, I know it isn't a recognizable colour...but what would I breed to get something like this?

blue-tort-otter-nd-t.jpg

I have no idea... but I have moved your post to the Colors and Genetics forum in the hope that you will get some answers. :)

It's not that hard. Blue tort to otter, basically. Otter is dominant, so it won't hide like dilute. The result will be an otter carrying non-extension and dilute. You could do sibling to sibling or go the mother and father route.

There are lots of ways... Do you have a starting point? Any rabbits currently in mind to try to use or any colors you'd like to buy? You need at least one tan gene with no agouti, 2 dilute genes, and 2 nonextension genes with the rest dominants. There's probably a dozen or 2 combos that could result in that.

akane":24zr10co said:
There are lots of ways... Do you have a starting point? Any rabbits currently in mind to try to use or any colors you'd like to buy? You need at least one tan gene with no agouti, 2 dilute genes, and 2 nonextension genes with the rest dominants. There's probably a dozen or 2 combos that could result in that.

...yeah, I should probably read up on genetics a bit :D I currently have blue and black otters, as well as a chestnut.

You are probably missing the nonextension gene that turns things in to torts, reds, points like sable point, etc... If you get a tort buck and have multiple blue otter does you can breed the tort to each one and then pick 2 otter half siblings to cross. You'll get tort, otter, and tort otter with all in blue and black. Might take a few litters to see all the colors. If you use a blue tort you can cut out all the black colors and get blue otter, blue tort, and blue tort otter. There is always the chance something else sneaks in though and you get something weird.

Back