Blue buck...good or no

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
Just want to know what people think of this buck. Was thinking about getting him but don't know how to tell if his a good buck to get or not. I think he looks good but since I'm new at this I'm not sure. So what do you think of him?

Attachments

• blue buck2.jpg
    blue buck2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 485
From a Yahoo Question:

The breed standard for a mini-rex is: show weight of only 4 1/2 pounds for does and 41/4 pounds for bucks. Its body is rather short and close coupled. The top body line rises gradually from the base of the ears to a high point over the center of the hips and then rounding downwards to the base of the tail. When viewed from the tail end, a Mini-Rex is approximately as wide as it is high. When viewed from above, the body tapers down slightly from the hips to the shoulders. The ears are rather short and thick and are carried erect. The fur is one of the most notable features of this breed. The guard hairs are the same length as the underfur giving an extremely plush, silky, feeling to it when stroked. The fur has a lustrous appearance and has a distinct springy feel when depressed. The fur type has earned the Mini-Rex the name "velveteen Rabbit."

ARBA standards recognizes many colors/varieties for the Mini Rex including: black, blue, castor, chinchilla, chocolate, himalayan, lynx, opal, red, seal, tortoise, white, lilac and broken pattern. including: black,blue,castor,chinchilla, chocolate, himalayan, lynx, opal, red, seal, tortoise, white, lilac and broken pattern. Breeders are continually trying to develop new colors.

Attachment is too small to bring up, but the picture is taken at an angle. Angles *can* be used to hide faults and short comings, not saying he has any but I would ask or a straight on horizontal picture OR look at him in person. He looks like he's a tad undercut and maybe even a bit flat, its really hard to tell with the angle. Does have some depth to him and seems to have good width. He doesn't look like he's got pinched hq either, but again I would FEEL him for this over looking at a picture (especially if he's going to be an expensive investment and don't really know the person). Color and fur looks good, but I've had some that were soft look that way too (again feel in person if possible). I'd suggest doing the same thing for some one that was buying from me too, so its nothing personal. How does he look out of hand? He should look just as good in hand as out, judge isn't going to hold a rabbit constantly in a pose.

Ok here is some picture of the blue buck. I asked her to send me a picture of him that is straight and not at a angle. She plans I sending me one later today. I told her he seems to look nice. She told me that she has a litter by him and she looked them all over and only likes one out of the seven so she doesn't think he would necessarily help me any. She told me this..... He's pretty decent himself but with both litters I've had from him they lack in HQ. They have nice depth, a nice head and ear, and pretty decent fur, BUT...I would rather have nice width to the body rather than worrying about less important things (like head, etc). I told her that he looks nice to me from the pictures but I'm new at all this. I also said I've been told by people including my friend that you have to start somewhere. So I just need some help with picking the right buck for my doe. She also sent me a picture of his son which is a broken black otter. He looks nice to me also but I remember people telling me not to get a broken since I have a broken because if you breed the 2 you have a chance at getting charlies. So I just don't know what to do right now. Here are some pictures of the broken black otter buck as well. So tell me what you guys think of the 2. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:47 pm __________ <br /><br /> I also heard if you get a heavy marked broken and one that is lightly marked then you shouldn't get a Charlie. Is that true?

Attachments

• black otter buck.jpg
    black otter buck.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 446
  • black otter buck1.jpg
    black otter buck1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 446
  • blue buck.jpg
    blue buck.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 446
  • blue buck1.jpg
    blue buck1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 446
  • blue buck2.jpg
    blue buck2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 446
He does look like a decent rabbit, not knocking him there. He's nice enough, I'd consider buying him as he's full of width/good loin area and has some depth to him and could add that to my tri/otters that they are lacking. He is a little flat on the top line though, and if he looks similar to his son he's got slightly pinched HQ. See how the rear goes into a soft U/V instead of an O? IF I'm remembering correctly, your doe has pinched hq/hips as well, BUT he is not as bad so you may get some better offspring to replace the doe/buck. Culling (not absolute meaning kill) would have to be very strict though, keep only those that are an improvement and move out older stock once those newer ones prove themselves if possible. However, HQ pinch is a hard to fix and isn't going to happen in a generation or two in my experience...its not as bad as shoulder length but almost imo. He would be a good start on if he is what you can afford imo and can't get better. Like I said, I'd be interested in him myself if I was shopping for one like him, but I'm really holding out and saving to get a super buck that has no hq issues and is as deep as he is wide to have the biggest impact on what I have already. He's much better than some other bucks I've seen starts with :)

Ok so I think I will just get the blue buck. Its a start. Here are some pictures of him she took tonight. She said he didn't want to pose and that she is going to see if she has a picture of him from the summer.

Attachments

• blue buck.jpg
    blue buck.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 435
  • blue buck1.jpg
    blue buck1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 435
Hmm do you have to pay for him before you get him? Have you asked what'll happen if he doesn't live up to what you thought you were getting? Since there's changes in the pictures, even if he is being a brat, I'd want to feel and see him posed in person before really committing and buying him. All of them are with him in hand and none with out of hand. The last two pics throw some worries, long shoulder and peaking early/late, flat hq, and pinched hips. You couldn't see any of those really from the first picture. He is a better start than I've seen, and better than I had though. BTW...if it isn't too much asking...how much are you going to be paying for him if you do get him? I'd ask also to make sure his nails are all DARK, one light off colored nail or white is a DQ for any solid.

Well I'm going to probably talk to her again tonight so I can ask all those questions and see what she says. Also I would be paying $25 for him if I do decide to get him.

preciousgurl63":2kx0kkxx said:
Well I'm going to probably talk to her again tonight so I can ask all those questions and see what she says. Also I would be paying $25 for him if I do decide to get him.

I know very very little about rabbits... but for that price, I don't think I'd hesitate for a starting point.

$25.00 is a STEAL! I wouldn't worry about the other questions then except for the toe nails one. I'm used to paying $75+ for any thing I get, so I'm a bit more critical on is it really worth what I'm going to pay. For $25.00; I'd gamble without seeing/feeling as long as he's got good nail color even with the pictures not being consistent.

His doing good and settling in fine. Very sweet boy. His a little thin so I have to put a little more weight on him but other than that he seems like a happy boy. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:22 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here is a pic of the buck. He is such a sweetheart. Very friendly.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 361
Back