Blood around anus on young buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love bunnies

Reaction score
Wondering if you all could help me out. I just saw that my new zealand buck kit (4 months old) appears to have dried blood around his anus??? He's acting like his system is shutting down already and I have no clue what is going on! All I come across on the web is to take him to the vet to find out what the problem is, I can't afford that and as far as I know the only vets around here only do dogs and cats. Any ideas?

I don't recognize the problem offhand, but perhaps you can tell us what you mean when you say his system is shutting down.

A couple of other questions . . . Is there blood in his droppings? Is he eating and drinking at all? How is he sitting or lying? Is he grinding his teeth?

You may have to consider euthanizing him, if he is in pain. If you can't afford to have the vet do it, we can help with that too.

What I mean by his system is shutting down is that he appears to be dying. That's normally what happens with any animal that we have had. They go into this mode and there seems to be nothing to bring them out of it then they die.

No grinding teeth as fa as I can tell. Haven't seen any droppings so I don't know. Ate a tiny bit but would not drink. He's lying on his stomach right now.............

Maggie J, would you mind explaining what euthanizing is? I haven't heard of that word yet. Would that have something to do with putting him down? There isn't any way I can afford a vet.

Euthanizing is just another term for putting an animal down, usually via injection but I think in this case she just means ending his life for him. Its just sometimes the best way to ensure our animals don't suffer, and there are a variety of ways it can be done. If you are interested in hearing what methods others have tried and had success with, I am sure folks will be willing to share. I do hope you find a way to help him feel better!

Yes, by euthanasia, I meant to consider the need to kill him as quickly and painlessly as possible to end his suffering.

Those of us who raise rabbits for meat know how to do this, but I believe everyone with animals should know the best methods. A vet is not always a possibility, due to distance or finances.

(Note: I edited the first part of this post for clarity. I was not suggesting that euthanizing the rabbit was the only possible course, but rather that it might be necessary if the rabbit is in pain.)

Googled "blood on rabbit butt* first forum someone took their bunny to the vet and said that the he was actually a she and that she had had reproductive cancer... I don't know your rabbit expertise but could it possibly be a girl?

Next forum is this one. I don't really know the exact symptoms of your bunny but you might get some help from this http://rabbit.org/ailments-of-the-anus- ... ur-rabbit/

I looked for probably 30 minutes and this seems to be the best I can find about rabbits with bloody bums. I did use different google phrases and different key words and even looked through their recommended searches. I wish the best of luck to you and your bunny

Thanks, Buttons, for taking the time and trouble to try to find an answer for love bunnies.

I doubt it would be ovarian cancer in such a young rabbit, even if he turns out to be a she, but the ailments mentioned in that article you found certainly could be the problem. It's a pretty good article - straightforward and easily understood.

Well it was definitely worth looking. Just very annoying. Everything and anything to do with a bloody bum area on a bun is apparently does. I'm like this ain't a doe! So I found a site something like Pet.answers.com or some randomness, that's where most of my time was spent. Trying to tell some lady on chat for the 30th time he isn't my rabbit and that the info I gave her was all I had. I'm glad that one is as straight forward. Do we know if there is already a post with bunny related medical links? I'm such a nerd I look into that stuff ALL the time! But I have nobody to share it with here because I'm the only bunny enthusiast in my house. I find all these really awesome links and sites and I've been trying to favorite them. If there isn't a post made yet then I'll work on making one and post it. Would give me something to do and something fun at that. BTW Sorry :eek:fftopic3:

Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate it!

Whatever was wrong put him down pretty fast. He passed away a little while ago. Did not appear to be in pain and just mainly layed on his stomach up until the end he stretched out and died.

Thanks for the links! I will be sure to look at them.

I'm pretty sure he was a boy. Did alot of research on that and also had other rabbit breeders show me.

BTW, I know this is completly off the topic I posted about but does anyone know as to why a mother doe would eat all the bedding out of her kits nest 4 days after their born? She's had litters before and was a really good mother but this time she pulled hardly any fur and then left her kits uncovered at night. When they hit day 4 she ate all the bedding out of the nest. She doesn't have much interest in them so I have been bringing her into the house twice per day for feedings and so far it's working. Been doing this for about a week now. Maybe I did something wrong? Wrong bedding? I used timothy hay and dried grass clipping from the lawn as that's all that I have available right now. ?

Did you give the doe lots of timothy hay and dried clippings as food too, outside the nest box? If not, I'd say she was just enjoying them as a treat. Where nesting is concerned, I think rabbits act mainly on instinct. She probably wouldn't connect eating the hay with the kits not having bedding.

MaggieJ beat me to it, but I'll say it anyway. :)

I don't think she was intentionally depriving them of warmth either.
The bedding probably delicious.
It's normal does to eat some, and more if she was craving something in it.
If you could find straw, or less tasty hay, she'd probably eat less.

I had put alot of extra hay in her cage along with what I had in the nest box. Hmmmm....... maybe it was really tasty to her. But so far babies are doing really good and growing fast! Have to figure out how to put pics on here for you all to see.

Again, Thank you so much for all of your help!!!! :)

I hope this helps. I know I had a hard time figuring out how to add pics at first. This is the way to add them to a post. The first pic if you find the options it's the "Upload Attachment" tab. I hope this helps you! :)
Screenshot 2016-09-01 at 1.08.17 PM.png
Screenshot 2016-09-01 at 1.08.26 PM.png

Back