First and foremost … DH is back to work. We survived the 4th of July family reunion too!
Two roosters out of the 10 have been processed. Still have 8 more to go, but now that I’ve done my first (DH did the other one about 1.5 weeks ago) I feel a bit more confident. I will work on getting them processed over the next week. Once that’s done, I’ll be cleaning out the coop really well, sterilizing it with bleach water, letting it dry out then putting the 8 baby chicks in there.
The three bucks still need to go. I’ve got to get them done this week as well. We need the space for the baby rabbits so their mama’s can have a break from them. We have a total of 19 little ones and I hope to get them to a decent size in the next couple of months. Right now they’re about 5-6 weeks old. One thing I’ve learned is that they do not grow out as fast as I would like them to. I’ll be giving them all a good weigh when it’s time to move them to the other cages so I can track it over the next month or so.
I think in the future I need to get some NZ White’s or Red’s for my meat rabbits and do away completely with the meat mutts. Of course, that was kinda the plan to begin with. We got the meat mutts so that the learning curve would be less costly.
And the garden is doing so-so. Of course, compared to last year it’s doing outstanding! :) I’ve got a pot of “vegetable medley” on right now simmering down which I plan on putting through my food mill to make a sauce for pasta. It smells fabulous.
But that’s what’s going on around our homestead right now!