24 Carrot Rabbitry

City-fied Self-Sufficiency

Hey there! Thanks for dropping by 24 Carrot Rabbitry
Take a look around and grab the RSS feed to stay updated. See you around!

Stressing the deadline

The next day, we drove up and parked on our gravel road.  No way we were going to get stuck in the driveway again!  We walked.

That day, at 5:00pm, was the deadline for our loan.  I was to call for an interview with the bank when the house was completely leveled, blocked, and tied down… and the phone call was to be made by 5:00pm, or the loan offer would expire.  If that happened, and they reviewed our application and decided not to re-extend the offer to us, the house would be pulled back off and carted away.

Surely… both halves were there, they were almost finished being “married”, blocked, and leveled.  Surely the tie-downs would be completed in plenty of time!

When we walked to the driveway from our car, this is what greeted us:

It was their turn to get hopelessly stuck! We found the man we bought the land from pushing the setup crew's truck up the driveway! It seems he just felt he should come over and see if the crew needed any help with anything. God is so good!

The other setup truck got a push, too. Conditions were so sloppy, one of the men already had his shirt off.

I felt so sorry for these guys.  What terrible conditions to have to work in!  If it wasn’t about to storm, storming, or just finished storming, the sun was out and absolutely scorching!  The mud pulled at their legs, causing them to use several times the usual effort to walk.  They got so exhausted.

The kids spotted a pretty little butterfly, so I did my best at a picture of it with my cell phone.

Mom chats with one of the crew, as the odd little caterpillar-treaded machine that pulled us out of the driveway holds the house up for him to add blocks. The axles and the last few wheels are in the foreground. There is nothing mobile about this home anymore!

Yet another funny little machine... this one screwed the anchors into the ground.

By this time, I was getting concerned.  It had taken a lot longer to get to this point than I had expected.  The lady at the dealership, bless her heart, was getting really nervous.  She begged me to make the call to the mortgage company and tell them it was blocked, leveled, and tied down, since the crew wasn’t leaving until it was done anyway.

I understood her predicament, but that would have been lying.  Yes, it was rain that had caused all this to run so late — rain had delayed the driveway, rain had delayed the building of the pad, rain had caused work to stop several times, and so on — but the truth, no matter the perfectly valid reasons, was that it wasn’t finished yet.  I waited.

Meanwhile, my joints became slowly more achy.  As I mentioned before, my joints are hypermobile, and I’m usually in some amount of pain, even if it’s minor.  Usually, it’s a little more than minor.  This day, I felt more and more like I’d been walking on concrete floors all day.

It was finally time to tie the house down! At this point, I was not sure we'd make the deadline.

I was amazed at the number of tie-downs this house got!  By the time they were finished with all the ties under and around the house, I think it was over 50 of them!

The poor lady at the dealership was beside herself.  She wanted so badly for me to call the bank.  I thought they might be finished in time, but they kept adding more and more tie-downs.  Not that I’m complaining — I don’t want to turn to Toto and tell him we’re not in Kansas anymore!  Eventually, though, I knew the tie-downs would not be done by 5:00.

I called the bank, but I did not tell the gentleman that the work was finished.  I was truthful, and told him that it was almost finished, but that they were still working on the ties.  He explained that the process of tying it down could actually cause structural damage to the house, and so it was important to wait until all the ties were completed, and I’d had a chance to walk through the house to inspect it.

I determined that I was not going to allow our new home to be founded on a lie.  I would not tell him it was finished when it was not.  When it was finished, I would tell him it was finished, and if that meant we lost the house, then so be it.  I did not believe that God wanted me to lie to keep the home we believed He had granted us a loan for.  If He wanted us in that house, then He was more than able to ensure the loan was extended to us once more, if we did indeed pass the deadline.

And we did pass it.

The pain got worse and worse, and I could not stand or walk for very long.  That’s why I didn’t have more pictures for this post.  Of course, that may be a relief for some of you!

Bunny-Wan Kenobi passes some time pulling roots remaining from trees that were removed. With the ground so wet, they came up pretty easily!

As some of the crew worked on the ties (two around the outside and one underneath), two more worked to finish the roof.

4:50pm came, and I called the bank.  I left a message detailing exactly how far the work on the house had progressed, and what was left to be done.

Finally, at about 6:20pm, the leveling, blocking, and tying-down of the house was completed. The exhausted crew left.

As I waited for my beloved Shay to arrive from work, I stepped inside and slowly looked around the house.  I was in so much pain, it was really hard to climb stairs and walk, but it had to be done.  It turned out that this was more than my usual pain.  I had Lyme disease.

There was some damage, but only the kind that is to be expected when a structure like this has to endure a long drive, with all the flexing it does.  There were some wall panels that were cracked, and there was stress damage to the caulking around the countertops, and other issues like that.  I saw no structural damage.

I called the bank again to leave another message, and again explained the horrendous conditions the men had worked in, which had certainly delayed completion, but that the setup was now completed.

I had told the truth.  Now the outcome was up to the Lord.  I’d rather have it in His hands, than be trying to manipulate circumstances myself!

When Shay arrived, we walked through the house again.  Naturally, we prayed that the loan would be extended to us once more.  For one thing, if it wasn’t, then we had very little time left to put something on the land that we could live in before my uncle got married.  Graciously, he suggested that after the wedding, he could move into his new wife’s apartment until we were able to move out of the house, but we wanted to be able to be out of the house by then.  And the wedding was coming up in early November!

I called the bank the next morning, and the gentleman explained that he had scheduled a review of our application.  I waited on pins and needles for him to call me back.

He did.  They were re-extending the loan.  The house was ours.

 

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

2 Responses to “Stressing the deadline”

  1. Mtn Mom says:

    Whew! I was waiting on pins and needles to the end of the post wondering if you got it or not. I really respect your choice to not start your house with a lie, and I believe God blessed that decision. Congrats!

    • Miss M says:

      LOL! Glad I was able to make the post exciting! :D

      Thank you so much, Mtn Mom! I believe God blessed the decision, too!