Black tort, chestnut??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
FullSizeRender.jpg
We have this little fat toad of a holland. Singleton and spoiled.

Dam is lilac tri I think, sire is supposed to be frosty but he looks more chin.

As a newborn we thought black tort. Then with the start of fur we thought Siamese sable. But now it feels like agouti because of the orangish neck triangle but the ears and the banding are throwing me.

Any ideas?

Pics of parents incl.

__________ Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:11 pm __________

Current pics. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:12 pm __________ <br /><br /> Parents

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,991
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 1,991
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 1,991
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,991
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 1,990
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 1,990
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 1,990
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 1,990
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 1,990
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 1,990
Cuteness! :p Gotta love them chubby little singletons.

As for colour, I agree the sire looks Chinchilla. But the dam... to me, she actually looks more like a Broken Lilac Tort Marten (mouthful and a half). @Dood?

The baby looks like a Black tort, but I've never had one so not sure why his wee ears would look like that. I'm sure one of the others will chime in .

Hollands are pretty smutty with their non extension colors, without seeing the undercolor it'd be hard to tell if it were a frosty or a chinchilla. The mother looks blue fox (blue tort otter) and the baby looks black tort. The ears look a bit frosted (more commonly seen in dilutes, but not unheard of in non-dilutes) which goes away with age.

Some weird colour changes going on there ;) but it is still very early to identify

Sire could be a dark frosty or a light chin

Dam has agouti or tan markings and since the saddle fur lacks ticking I think it's tan. I don't see chocolate but I do think she is dilute and not blue enough to be a blue otter, so I also believe she is a blue tort otter

The kit looks tort as a newborn but might be experiencing some "snowball" effects that are giving weird light highlights

Please keep us updated on his progression :)

So a revelation hit and we are convinced the dam is a broken lynx. Paired with a chin who carries choc I'm guessing the baby is choc sable agouti :)

The dam might be a smutty broken lynx, but the kit is not a chocolate sable agouti. It's a black tort. It has orange pigment, which sable agoutis don't have, it has no agouti markings (its ears are dark, so its a self), and it looks black based and no chocolate based (and chocolate is rather uncommon in HL)

SableSteel":3miumy9v said:
The dam might be a smutty broken lynx, but the kit is not a chocolate sable agouti. It's a black tort. It has orange pigment, which sable agoutis don't have, it has no agouti markings (its ears are dark, so its a self), and it looks black based and no chocolate based (and chocolate is rather uncommon in HL)

The dam is lynx. Upon consulting the breeder who owns her sire, we see that the grandsire is Lynx and her dam carries agouti and chocolate so it's not a stretch. After comparing photos and asking a friend who currently breeds lynx, we have confirmation.

I don't see how it's a black tort when the saddle and skirt are blended colours with no clear delineation between the two? We've bred a lot of torts and although the colouring is similar the markings are wrong. As well, the orange is disappearing everywhere except the neck.

His colouring is morphing daily and he does have agouti markings (something we've also bred a lot of).

As for chocolate being rare, our rabbitry has chocolate, lilac, and chocolate carriers out the yin yang so chocolate is probable vs being a stretch in the majority of our breedings.

Torts are a shading color; they have shading. He didn't have agouti markings as a baby and they don't just appear.

SableSteel":l8yz5dfh said:
Torts are a shading color; they have shading. He didn't have agouti markings as a baby and they don't just appear.

You're welcome to your opinion.

Back