Black or seal?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_ND

Reaction score
This forum has been very helpful to me, I always thought my 'black' buck was black with crappy coat coloring, now I am wondering if he is a seal. Because he always has a sun bleached color to his coat even though he isn't in the sun. His mom was a broken black and his father was what I thought was a black but he might've been a seal. His coat coloring underneath is a slate grey kind of color. The picture of the blue buck is his son Shade, Shade's mom was a blue. I sold all the black/seal babies so I can't compare him to them. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:50 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here are the rest of the pictures.

Attachments

• SAM_1650.JPG
    SAM_1650.JPG
    381.6 KB · Views: 2,197
  • SAM_1649.JPG
    SAM_1649.JPG
    359.3 KB · Views: 2,197
  • SAM_1647.JPG
    SAM_1647.JPG
    387.5 KB · Views: 2,197
  • SAM_1646.JPG
    SAM_1646.JPG
    341 KB · Views: 2,197
  • SAM_1645.JPG
    SAM_1645.JPG
    408.1 KB · Views: 2,197
  • SAM_1643.JPG
    SAM_1643.JPG
    417.5 KB · Views: 2,196
  • SAM_1642.JPG
    SAM_1642.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 2,196
  • SAM_1641.JPG
    SAM_1641.JPG
    428.3 KB · Views: 2,196
Dood":2836cam7 said:
I'd say he's seal

Do you have any white (REW or himilayan) to breed him to?

I don;t have any REW or Himlayan rabbits. Right now my only other rabbit is Shade his blue son and my sister in law who bought him is supposed to get him once she gets her pen built for him. Then in about a month I'm going to be getting some more rabbits but they'll all probably be Siamese sable ND.

If I did acquire a REW or Himalayan how would I go about it to find out his color?

Thanks.

Oh no, now I'm started on a hunt for a REW doe. lol

Would a doe with grey eyes work http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/4432413235.html?
What about a BEW doe?

I'm new to all this genetic, I just got into rabbits a year ago when a friend's brother was selling his rabbits so I went down and picked out a rabbit, then we got a male and he got with the female so yeah.

Sables are carrying himi or rew. Usually himi is used to make a sable. Breed sable x sable and you will get 25% seal, 50% sable, and 25% himi (possibly rew if that was used in place of himi in the lines). You can also cross seal to a known sable and you will get 50% seal, 50% sable. Sometimes though it's hard to tell a dark sable from a light seal so if you aren't having big litters it may be difficult to prove it's a seal using that breeding.

Okay. I know his Mom's sister was a REW and his grandma was a broken black and his mom was a broken black. His father was a seal or black.

Latest posts

Back