Register

Big news!

Off-topic Discussions, Member News, Funny Stories and Jokes.
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,667.00

Re: Big news!

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:03 pm

MaggieJ wrote:
Let me know if there’s any specific projects you wanna see when we get going, I’ll try to add as much as I can for everyone’s viewing pleasure.
:camera:

Oh, that's brilliant!
Nymph to Hubby: "So you see, dear, I just have to have these (insert animal/bird of choice) because all my friends on RT are dying to learn about (insert whatever) and I don't want to let them down."

Yes!! That is a excellent idea! Donkeys and alpacas please :D
Ozarkansas Rabbits and Cavies
Raising quality purebred Beveren, Dutch, English Spot, Holland Lop, and Tan rabbits. As well as White Crested cavies. Primarily for show in NW Arkansas.
htpp://www.ozarkansasrabbits.com

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,855.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Nymphadora » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:20 pm

MaggieJ wrote:Nymph to Hubby: "So you see, dear, I just have to have these (insert animal/bird of choice) because all my friends on RT are dying to learn about (insert whatever) and I don't want to let them down."

Right? I knew you guys would appreciate my genius... :twisted:

MaggieJ wrote:Why no milking animals? I'd think a triple-purpose breed like Angora goats would be ideal for you. I saw some in France years ago. The goats were amazing. They were grazing on a distant hillside and the farmer whistled and they all came running. Beautiful animals. The people had a nice little shop with hand-crafted angora wool products, oodles of chevre (goat cheese) and so forth. Can't remember if they sold goat meat products as well, but I wouldn't be surprised.

DH believes that if we have “milking” animals, we will never be able to go on vacation again (I’m biting my tongue on saying ‘really, with rabbits, and chickens, and other animals, you think the milking is what’s going to prevent us from leaving for any amount of time?’). I may still get “dual-” (truly triple-) purpose goats eventually and only milk as much as we need (let the kids have the rest). But for now, I’ll let him think he’s won. :oops:

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,703.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Yeah, best wait on the goats. :lol: DH really has no idea, does he? With a little luck he'll get interested enough in the critters that he will not feel tied down. I do suggest, however, that once you're nicely settled in and getting to know people in your area, that you locate someone in a similar situation and work out a buddy system. It will take a lot of the stress off for vacations and also in the case of illness or accident.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

United States of America

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Nymphadora » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:29 pm

MaggieJ wrote:Yeah, best wait on the goats. :lol: DH really has no idea, does he? With a little luck he'll get interested enough in the critters that he will not feel tied down. I do suggest, however, that once you're nicely settled in and getting to know people in your area, that you locate someone in a similar situation and work out a buddy system. It will take a lot of the stress off for vacations and also in the case of illness or accident.

Thank you, MaggieJ! :D

What's funny is he thinks people (we have several family members that might help if we did want to take a vacation) wouldn’t mind feeding/watering/cleaning a few more animals, it’s really the milking he seems to have hang-ups about. And he’s already super excited to have the rabbits, he’s mentioned letting them have a huge area to run around in on “fieldtrips” out of the cages. It’s cute, really. :in_love: He’s probably going to spoil those bunnies to make up for their short lives… DH is very much an animal lover, and we don’t go on many vacations as it is, so I know he’s just being extra worried for the one or two vacations we might have in the next year (no longer than a few days each). :oops:

We’ve also learned that our new next door neighbor used to have goats and has frequently helped the previous owners of our house with their horses… so I’m thinking if we become friends with her, we might be able to help each other out for vacations and such.
:bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Marinea » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Congratulations!!

How very exciting. Please post pics when you can.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

The following user would like to thank Marinea for this post
Nymphadora

Site Supporter
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,858.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:40 am

Nymphadora wrote: But for now, I’ll let him think he’s won. :oops:

Glad I'm not the only one who does this....lol.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,895.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Homer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:38 pm

SarniaTricia wrote:
Nymphadora wrote: But for now, I’ll let him think he’s won. :oops:

Glad I'm not the only one who does this....lol.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why do I feel like I'm going to be sorry I replied to this post? :shock: ;)
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

United States of America

Post Number:#23  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:15 pm

Today's the big day!!!

:cuckoo:

:hobbyhors :turniptruck: :happysun:

Everything's in the back of the cars (ok, not everything, but everything we need right away), and we're waiting on the phone call that the previous owners have left! I've got my painting clothes on, and I'm ready to roll! ;) :mrgreen:

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#24  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:37 pm

WHOOO-HOOOO !!!

Let the fun begin!

:cheer1: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer1: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer1:
:happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :band: :bananadance: :bananadance2: :bananadance:
:thewave:
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Nymphadora

Site Supporter
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,858.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:08 am

I'm so EXCITED for you!!!

:mbounce:
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Have fun!
Slow and steady and drink lots of water!
I know I overdo it when I get excited and sometimes slow down progress because I fly out of the gate at warp speed and then pay for it the next day!!
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

The following user would like to thank SarniaTricia for this post
Nymphadora

United States of America

Post Number:#26  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:22 am

I've been meaning to update you all more frequently, but I noticed fairly soon into our endeavor (read: massive undertaking that leaves me in a constant state of sleep deprivation and soreness) that I have no way of loading the photos I took with my nice camera onto my laptop. Because that's still in storage, so to speak.
:weep: :wall:

I did snap two quick pictures with my phone, so you guys can see the color we chose for our walls (well, two of the three, anyway).

I'm absolutely in LOVE with that living room... can't wait to finish painting the fireplace and media center a clean white! Oh, and don't mind the yellow tape around the windows... DH was still painting the trim. :oops:

And I'm really excited about this grey... it just looks so clean and crisp with the white ceilings/trim! We're not in love with the carpets in this room, but that will have to wait until there's more room in the budget. :roll:

I'll admit these photos were taken last week, so the living room (sans fireplace and media center) has been finished painting, and we've made good progress in the bedrooms as well (a very pretty light blue... photos coming this week, hopefully). We also got help from my parents moving our furniture up to the house, although most of it we are currently storing in the barn. But I finally have my couch again! :up:

I've also been checking in on RT at the office, since we didn't have internet at the house until this past Sunday evening (we wouldn't have even had it that early if DH didn't need to do some work from home). I've been getting up before dawn and going to sleep past midnight most days, between going to work and painting/cleaning/fixing things at the house. :sleep:

I can't wait to show you all the finished paint... maybe by next week? And I've gotta remember to take some pictures of the barn when I get home... if it's not too dark.

Hope you're all doing great! :group-hug2:
Last edited by Nymphadora on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#27  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:36 pm

It's great to hear your news, Nymphadora. I'm glad things are rolling along well. The sleep loss and aches and pains are pretty much inevitable, but the benefits will last much longer. :)

Hang in there, and post when you can. We're looking forward to your updates.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,895.00

Post Number:#28  Unread postby Homer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:59 pm

Fireplace huh? When you get the house done you can go cut a couple cords of wood! :P That will show you where the aches and pains really are.

Glad it's going well for you guys!
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

United States of America

Post Number:#29  Unread postby Nymphadora » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:50 am

Homer wrote:Fireplace huh? When you get the house done you can go cut a couple cords of wood! :P That will show you where the aches and pains really are.

Glad it's going well for you guys!

:lol:
If only we knew that the fireplace was wood-burning! The previous owners used gas only, but it looks like it might've once been wood-burning. So we're having someone more knowledgeable come take a peek before winter (although even then, in Southern California it doesn't really get cold but 1 or 2 weeks a year).

I suppose I'll have to collect my aches and pains in other ways in the mean-time. ;)

That said, I am terribly out of shape so the last two weeks have been great at getting me used to more active work. :oops: My back and limbs are slowly getting acclimated, the only thing still really hurting after a long day are my feet (sorry if too much info)! It wasn't so bad in the carpeted rooms, but standing and moving around on tile floors all day long is making my ankles swell. Super attractive, per DH. :mrgreen: :lol:

__________ Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:49 am __________

Okie Dokie!

Well, there's been progress! While taking out the trash yesterday evening, it struck me that there was still a bit of light out... enough for a few quick photos, even! So I grabbed my phone (camera's still in storage :cry:) and snapped a few shots of the potential sites for my rabbitry. If anyone wants to chip in with advice, concerns, etc., please do. I'm putting these up so folks with more rabbit know-how can point out any potential issues if they see them. At the very least I'd like to be prepared, right? :oops:
(Please keep in mind that for now I will only be doing 6 holes (2 stacks of 3) and DH plans to build an additional "roof" to shelter the bunnies from overhead sun in any outdoor areas).

So, option #1:
This was my first thought of where to keep the rabbitry, since it's nicely protected from the wind and it's shady (in the back corner there) for most of the day. There's also two separate gates enclosing the space (one leading to the patio, the other to the kitchen door more or less) so any human or large animal should find it at least somewhat difficult to get in. I liked the idea that the rabbitry could be relatively self-contained and I could potentially bunny-proof the gates so the rabbits could run around outside if I wanted (individually and under constant supervision of course). Concerns: pee-proofing the concrete (?), and those pink flowers attract a LOT of bees... not too sure if it would freak the rabbits out or if the bees would ignore them. [sidenote: the insane bee population is super encouraging, since we'd like to eventually have our own hive].

Option # 2:
This space is basically right outside my craft room and our master bedroom. The door back there leads to the garage (which can go right into my craft room). I like the privacy fencing, and we're planning on adding some raised garden beds in this area as well. Please don't mind the mess, we're just storing some of the larger materials in this side yard for now. :oops: This side of the house is also mostly shady throughout the day. Concerns: again, pee-proofing the house, and only 1 gate to keep out unwelcome guests (from the street).

And option #3:
This is our barn/workshop I've been telling you guys about! Rabbits would probably fit best at the end after the two insulated rooms. I can roll up both of the big doors to get a nice breeze in the barn and to let in plenty of light. Food storage would obviously be most convenient here, but I don't mind walking a little so it's not really a huge deal. Concerns: loud noises will for sure be happening here (although I understand the rabbits should get used to this with time), and I would like the rabbits to get more natural daylight (day/night cycles). The barn doors would only be open if DH or myself were home.

Bonus round of photos:
These are the pipe stalls we have at the back of the property. They're still very close, but that pink flowery vine and a retaining wall basically separate them from our back patio. I'm imaging a chicken coop (gonna have to be creative in predator proofing... maybe enclosed coop + run and then let them "free-range" supervised?), and some kind of larger livestock. I'm still between goats or alpacas. :grin:

And this is the back patio I just mentioned! There's gonna be some big-time grill action going on out here when we have the money to buy a grill!

As of yesterday, we finally have curtains for the windows facing the driveway. So hurray for that!

Alright, that’s it for now… let me know what you all think! The bunnies are coming in a few weeks and I gotta get ready! :D

__________ Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:50 am __________

Argh... somebody have an idea how I can get around the stupid 3rd party hosting issue with Photobucket? :evil: I'll get all the photos fixed so you can all see it, I just gotta figure out how to attach them now.

Ok, photos are smaller now, but at least they're there. :roll:
Last edited by Nymphadora on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,837.00

Post Number:#30  Unread postby faiththequeen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:54 am

I had to switch to a different image hosting site. sorry :( Cant wait to see when you get it figured out!
Faith the Queen :king:

PreviousNext