Big belly?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So if any of you have been following Peepers, shes doing really good. Growing and gaining weight. Unfortunately there is a but.. her stomach is pretty large. She's eating normally. She still eats her formula like a power eater and is eating hay and pellets too. Still running around & binkying. Basically shes acting normal.

Her poops for the most part are normal. But once in a while she's had some wetter one stuck to her a little. I dont know of its cecotropes or her poop.

The bloatedness seems to have popped up a few days ago. We thought at first it was from her over eating. Any ideas? <br /><br /> -- Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:21 pm -- <br /><br /> Also i should note that she still gets infant gas drops. So i dont think its gas?

Should I deworm her? Possibly treat for cocci? I know most animals have some parasites. Im wondering if where she didnt have moms milk & whatever issue she had by not wanting to feed off of mom if her immune system is less than normal.

I would cry my eyes out if something were to happen to her. Shes a month and 5 days old.

IMHO she might be fat because she's about to have a growth spurt. Mine do this too. They puff up and look fat for a few days then suddenly they're bigger and deflated. I'm not a doctor or scientist or expert on rabbits this is just my experience.

Oh I sure hope you're right. I know i worry a lot about her if not too much. But she's so darn behind size & fur wise. Her fur is very thin, not thick like the others.

Ty buttons :)

-- Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:28 pm --

Heres a pic of her weird shaped belly
<br /><br /> -- Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:30 pm -- <br /><br /> That pic above also shows how thin her fur is

This pic shows the shape of her when shes curled up in her sleep sack next to her stuffed bunny.

:( I hope she pulls through. That's not fat though, that's a bloated belly. Eating any hay yet? Worming or using other meds may be too hard on her yet...

Hi rebel rose, i wondered if it was bloat. Strange thing is she still devours food. Last nigbt she was quieter than normal but usually she still runs up and down.

We took the pellets away and are just going to offer timothy hay & gas drops and my wife has been very gently massaging her belly. I was informed she pooped alot so far and even pooped out a bigger gross looking one. We also gave her metacam ( sp?) Its left over from when we had to have some teeth removed from our chihuahua.

We are trying our best. She was doing soooooo good. I dont know what went wrong?? :(

I hope it's not bloat! I didn't think she was that big. Mine just look like they swallowed a big bouncy ball for a day or too.. I really hope your little bunny pulls through!!

I really wish some others with more knowledge would reply..

I dont know what to do.. shes so teeny do i just feed formula? Do i just feed hay? Do i do formula & hay?

We have been messaging a lot. Shes pooping and still eating but big. I dont get it? Everything ive read is they don't want to eat and dont poop...

I fear, people may be hesitant to offer advice because that little bun does not look like she has a good chance of survival.

You seem to be doing most of what you could possibly do for her though.
Feeding hay is good.
Maybe a bit less formula, since she looks so bloated.
The only things I'd probably add to her diet would be some old fashioned oatmeal for soluble fiber to get her GI tract off to a good start, and I'd probably introduce some gut friendly plants, like greater or lance leaf plantain, and leaves from strawberries, blackberries, raspberries or unsprayed rose plants. Those specific greens seem to be outside the "no greens for kits" rule, as they are more likely to cure digestive upsets than cause any. Benebac for small animals might be of some benefit too, as it has digestive bacteria that can help fight off colonization by more dangerous bacteria.

Try not to be too upset if you do lose her. It won't be due to lack of effort or understanding on your part. Some kits just cannot thrive, no matter what level of care they are given.

It's clear you have spared no effort in giving her a chance to grow, and I strongly respect that.

Zass thank you!!!! I truly appreciate the advice you've offered. And i do realize her odds.. its breaking my heart

I just gave her a tiny pinch of oatmeal. Shes devouring it as i type this. She definitely wanted more formula but i only gave her a tiny bit. She was begging for more. Climbing on the couch over & over trying to find her formula. I do have access to roses, i dont know what type of roses they are but I'll get a small leaf and offer it to her. And ty for the info on those greens. Thats very helpful info!!!!!

Its just so incredibly strange. Shes running the length of her cage and even climbing it begging to come out. Shes full of energy tonight binkying and climbing me like a mountain...

-- Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:03 pm --

She ate all the oatmeal. Now is eatint timothy hay. She isnt interested in the rose leaf. I put only half a leaf in there.

I forgot to say we do have bene bac powder and i gave her some with her formula. I also have goat colostrum powder. But i havent given her any because she already had that a while back. Im under the impression they only need that for a few days. <br /><br /> -- Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:37 pm -- <br /><br /> I just took this video of her begging to come out of her cage. I lined her litter box with paper towels so i can see her poops easier. All she has to munch on is a timothy hay block, timothy hay and the half a rose leaf in 2 pieces. She ate all the oatmeal. I only gave her maybe 15 pieces of it. I'd rather her eat a little at a time. Her belly is smaller than last night. But even last night with her big belly she was still chowing down on food. But she had a belly rub basically all day today!

Shes so happy and active i dont understand the belly thing?? https://youtu.be/PXZRcN99cAc

Her poops look great, from what I can see.
Make sure she has free choice hay. Even if she seems bloated, she should always be moving some food in and out.

Is there any way for her to have a bunny companion, to help keep her clean?

I have not replied because I don't have any other advice, and you do seem to be doing all you can. Just wanted to drop in and let you know that I am following this, and you are supported in your efforts:) She is such a cutie, and doesn't seem to be in any pain (although with rabbits it tough to tell). So other than possible heartbreak it looks like shes enjoying life one day at a time at your home. Animals can be extraordinary sometimes, and occasionally things will go unexplained. I sure hope this is the case with this cutie pie! Keep us updated, her story will be very interesting to follow:)

Hi Zass again i really appreciate you offering any bit of advice!! I brought in a couple of her siblings. Tho i think her ratty looking hair is mainly because its thin. I know baths arent good for bunnies but i wiped her down with baby shampoo with a washcloth and i blow dried her and she still looked the same lol shes my little scurfy bun :) ive been somewhat reluctant to bring her siblings in because i know a healthy bunny can still carry parasites/bacteria that wouldn't affect them but because of her issues i was avoiding it. But she should have some bunny company & grooming.

As for her poops they are pretty good, a little odd shaped like almost tear drop shaped one here & there but most are perfect. Tho her cecotropes aren't right. They seem..wetter/gooier and seem to stick to her. And she does have good oxbow timothy hay at all times. I think thats what ill offer for a while! Im going to back off the formula even tho she needs it.. in the long run a healthy belly is safer..

Hi macksmom, i appreciate your kind words (and zass's too) we are trying with everything we can do to help her. Ive never had a bunny like her. She jumps & plays on us! She literally seeks us out for affection. Kisses us over and over.. i honestly would say i love her as much as i do my dogs. And thats saying something HUGE! I live my life around my dogs!!!!

I think one of the cutest things she does is when she's on the floor shes so low to the ground to look at us she stands on her hind legs, leans back and sometimes topples over lol and if we dont have the puppy stairs she stands up like hey!!! Um excuse me!!! How am i suppose to get up there??

I will continue to give health updates with vids & pics.

Having at least one littermate is probably best. I think.
She could get exposed to things from them, but, she could also get exposed to bacteria(like e-coli) from licking you as well. It's almost impossible to keep them in a bubble.
IMO, the good outweighs the bad when it comes to company for kits.
Her littermates may also help provide warmth, a feeling of security for her which can help boost the immune system, and cecotropes with GI bacteria to help her digest what they are eating.

:clover: Good luck for that little one! :clover: :good-luck:

All very good points. And especially the point about ecoli because we feed our dogs raw so we are in contact with raw meats often. I will definitely be even more strict/careful.

I put 2 in with her to double the chances of cecotropes.

I have another question tho and im reallt sorry if im being a pain. If we keep one or 2 in with her during the day. The bigger kits will be ok with just hay correct? I don't have pellets in there with her as of right now. I was going to keep her on timothy for a week or 2 before SLOWLYYYYY adding pellets. Unless you feel i should do something different?

This is pretty much trial and error for me and im hoping peepers dont suffer if i make a wrong move. I just know im trying with every bit of me to save this baby girl.

Timothy is fairly low on calories and protein. She might be getting more of her nutrition from from the milk, but I think the other kits will need calories from other sources.

I'd increase the oats (very) slowly for Peepers, and maybe give the other kits oats or pellets while Peepers is out exploring or cuddling?

Actually, (16% protein) alfalfa cubes would probably be a safe alternative to pellets for now.

Grumpy has been mentioning studies that have shown reduced weaning enteritis with them. I know they seem to boost growth for me, and weaning enteritis has been absent from my rabbitry for a couple years now.

The cubes have more protein and calories than timothy hay, and they lack the more difficult-on-kits types of fiber that pellets often contain, like soybean hulls. Since most pellets contain alfalfa as the main ingredient, those cubes can act as an in-between stage. Getting the kit accustomed to the alfalfa first, before getting exposed to the whole pellet ingredient list.

All i have been doing is crying. I dont know what happened. My wife called me told me she was having what looked like a seizure. I made it home in record time. Only for her to have another one in my arms while i talked calmly & lovingly to her.. then she was gone

We are so broke right now but I still brought her to the vets to be cremated.

I have had rabbits throughout my wholw life (im 38) and never ever have i had one like her. She truly loved us. She could of played anywhere in the living room but she chose to climb on us like we were her jungle gym. When she was tired she would snuggle right on us.

Im so broken hearted.... i miss my peepers so much. I loved my other rabbits but this rabbit stole my whole heart. My whole heart...

Sorry to hear about your loss.
I enjoyed the youtube posts of this rabbit, it seemed like a nice rabbit.
You did a lot for the rabbit, way more than most people would have. Your efforts probably gave her more time to spend with you and your family.
You should take comfort in the fact you gave that rabbit a lot of love and gave it one heck of an effort to keep it alive. IMHO you did right by that rabbit.
Once again sorry.

Am i the only one who has ever been this torn up over a bunny? I lost my cat last year, she waa 14, had her since she was 6 weeks and because of money i chose not to have her cremated, not that i had the money and chose not to. Just that we couldnt afford it.

We couldnt afford to have Peepers cremated but we did it anyway. They accepted a down payment for now.

I wish i could have saved her.. feels like i lost my favorite dog :'( thats how immense this pain is..

Back