Bidding Wars---

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
okay, I broke a promise to myself---

Went to a livestock auction yesterday, and walked out with 12 new additions to the herd-- 7 Mini Rex, 2 Californians - one with a real deep coloring-- and three large, dark rabbits. I think some of the non-rexes are preggers...

There was a pair of Checkered Giants I did not bid on--skin and bones.I did not bid on a large group of NZ/CAL type crosses- yes, big, heavy, but so covered in urine I did not want to pick them up to sex them.

I learned a long time ago how to bid--and at this sales barn, things have been changed a bit so that active bidders of rabbits, produce, eggs, poultry, etc, are right on top of the lot AND the auctioneer. Once I make my first bid, I knew Doc would keep coming back to me.Oddly, when I reached the maximum I would offer for the lot, and drop out-- others would drop in--A rabbit I decided that I would pay no more than 5 dollars for went for 5 and a quarter. The ones I made no bid on-- well, they sold for way more than I would have paid in a private treaty sale. Some newbies--didn't catch on to the fact that one NEVER starts the bidding with the first price the auctioneer states. I saw one guy getting poked and told to 'hush up' because he kept raising his hand at the first price-- Doc actually turned and said-- "Sonso, you brought, take him aside and tell him the rules...the guy had complained because I won the bid--HE YELLED *I had my hand up!!.! "Well, you didn't let me know soon enough!!!"

Yep-- I have a couple busy days ahead of me--

I have to say I'm jealous of those who have small animal auctions to attend. We have several stockyard auctions around here, but there are only large livestock: horses, cattle, sheep, goats, pigs. Of course, it would probably be a bad thing for me...I'd have a lot more rabbits!

I agree. :( We used to have a GREAT small animal auction here. It has apparently gone away...at least I can't find it. (been a few years, I admit). We do have the occasional sponsored small animal "sale" tho. Not the same, but at least it's SOMETHING!

here, the 'small animal' part of the auctions are held at the VERY beginning of the main auction--before the miscellaneous merchandise-- after the hay, right along with the produce and stuff. So, I I were to go to MIddlefield on Monday- there is an auction of rabbits, poultry and eggs at 9 a.m., followed by 'stuff' ususally a lot of antique or yard sale type junk. then, i can hop over to Bloomfield, where hay starts at noon, then into the sales barn for the miscellaneous, followed by cows , sheep, goats, pigs, etc, then horses. Wednesday, drive to Saegertown for the Meadeville auction Monday also has the Union City Livestock Auction-- but with the snow, it is 'safer' to go to Bloomield, . Each auction typically has it's own level of 'safety' as far as getting healthy animals. each auction also has it's own reputaion for prices. i want to get to Rogers SOMETIME soon-- and my friend has invited me to go with her to Mt Hope next month--w e'll be staying over just so we can see it all!!!

Back