Bew Holland lop info

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquaman05

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase one of these kits, can someone share any info on what to look for when purchasing ? It will be for show.

Thanks for that link Dood! Seems like the rabbit I put the deposit on doesn't look the greatest.

It is very hard to find show quality bew, if you are intrested in showing it is best to find a nice rabbit and don't worry about colour just yet. There are few points in the Holland standard for colour, conformation is just so much more important.

dangerbunny":10fmmjen said:
It is very hard to find show quality bew, if you are intrested in showing it is best to find a nice rabbit and don't worry about colour just yet. There are few points in the Holland standard for colour, conformation is just so much more important.

I will second what dangerbunny said. BEW are difficult in any breed because of the genetics. If you are new to showing Hollands, you would probably be better off finding the best type animals you can regardless of variety (color). BEW will be more expensive just because they are BEW than a similar quality in a more common variety, in my experience. Hollands tend to be a very competitive breed on the show table, and less common varieties are often at a disadvantage because there are just not as many breeders working them. Additionally, breeders that do not do BEWs will probably not want to chance introducing that gene to their herd, so it is harder to find buyers for vienna marked and possible vienna carriers.

Just wanted you to be aware of the additional challenges of BEWs before saying that we absolutely love them! My son just started his BEW program in Netherlands (bred three does to his new VM buck tonight, hoping for nestboxes of BEWs and VMs in a month!!)! If you love them, go for it, but just be sure you are really aware of what you are getting in to. It will be more difficult than another common variety.

Last May I transported BEW Holland back to Texas from a show in Ohio for a friend. I had no less than 6 or 7 people just out of the blue as me if I would sell them the BEW Holland! I told her she was lucky she was such a good friend or I could have made some bucks on that rabbit!! LOL! That's how sought after quality BEW Hollands are!

Back