Beveren Angora?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baefull.wolfbunnies

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Through a recent purchase I have gotten (what I have been told) is a Beveren with the angora gene. She is fuzzy like an angora, but has the shape, size and look of a Beveren. The woman I bought her from said and I quote "They bred Angora into Beveren lines in the 80's every once in a while one pops up that has the Angora wool." She went on to say that on their farm they normally cull the angora rabbits but kept her because she had good confirmation and a wonderful temperment. Right now she doesn't like me because her nails are over grown and I have to clip a little each day and they are really sensitive.

My question is other then BOSS, unlimited Timothy Hay, and fresh greens/fodder what else should I be feeding her if I want to get a decent wool harvest from her? The woman didn't know what breed of angora got bred with the never ending otherwise I would just see what that bred specifically needs. :shrug: Help?

I don't have angoras but it is my understanding that the wool breeds need more protein in their diet which makes sense as fur is made from protein :)

If you don't feed pellets you might want to give her alfalfa hay which has higher protein than grass hays and wheat has the highest protein of the grains.

There are weeds/greens that are higher in protein that I harvest from local fields - clover, trefoil, vetch, Willow, mulberry and others not found in my area - kudzu I believe is one of them :)

Thanks Dood. Right now the "free weeds" she is getting are dandelion and crabgrass. I think I have wild strawberry and comfry but i am not sure and I don't just want to give them to her blindly. Right now she has several mats that she wont let me clip because since I got her our only interactions have been food delivery and trying to sort out her nail issue. I don't think she likes me much. However she was moving around more this morning then she had been so I know I'm heading in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back