Register

Between doing it and pussing out (Help please)

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 4,439.00

Re: Between doing it and pussing out (Help please)

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Preitler » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:14 am

That is good advice.

I still watch Grumpys video before precessing, just to keep track of each step - a list with notes will really help while processing. Prepare everything, have a big bowl of water to clean hands and tools if you don't have running water at hand, and have a bowl for liver, kidneys and heart prepared, maybe with iced water. Turn off phone etc.
If you want to keep the pelt for tanning prepare a bowl of cold water for that too, I don't recommend it, keep it simple at the start.

What I do different is that I remove the head first for bleeding, since I don't break the neck but use a selfmade captive bolt gun I cut around the spine and severe that with the garden scissors.

About knife - don't worry about that too much, it's not so important, almost every rather sharp knife will do. You'll see with time what you're most comfortable with.
I use a very old 4" knife, that ended up looking like that fishing knife or a fillet knife after decades of sharpening, I guess it started out as a vegetable knife, it's not the best steel which makes it easy and fast to get it sharp, although I have to do that after every 3-4 rabbits. Also, it has a very pointy tip.
For cutting the pelvis and head I use a bigger knive, but that's just a personal preference.

About dispatching, concentrate on the technical details, maybe make some practice runs with stuffed animals or a dummy.

Having someone to supervise you (note: try to do everything yourself, I know some people who have a difficult time just watching and telling - I'm one of those :roll: ) sure would be good.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 7,102.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Well I'm fine with watching it, I just was scared of killing the rabbit and messing up that part. Knowing now that the broomstick is a great method makes me feel more comfortable about doing it. I'm planning to drag the water hose from in the back yard to wherever I'm gonna do it unless it don't reach (In which case I would have water for the pelts and organs. I want to try tanning hides, even if they do look awful, it would be better practice to start on these than to wait until I'm better and mess up tanning, plus it would kill some time between processing litters.

It seems to me a 3-4" knife is what I should be looking for, a par of garden clippers or some other sort of heavy duty cutters. We have pliers so I'm good on that and scissors, I'll more than likely get more things as I get more comfortable with doing it.

Also here's the link to the video I've been talking so much about. I also watched Grumpy's which gave me a new perspective, it was nice watching his as well and I plan to download both onto my laptop and hope it don't crash anymore. Here's the link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm5EeDx-LDE I like how well he shows the organs and where they are, and the way he goes about the bladder.

I don't have a phone >3< I'm probably the only teenager in my generation who prefers not having a cell phone. I don't like having to keep up with them, I constantly loose them it's ridiculous, plus I just don't care enough about having one lol
@Happydalerabbits on Facebook :)

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:30 pm

ButtonsPalace wrote:Well I'm fine with watching it, I just was scared of killing the rabbit and messing up that part. Knowing now that the broomstick is a great method makes me feel more comfortable about doing it. I'm planning to drag the water hose from in the back yard to wherever I'm gonna do it unless it don't reach (In which case I would have water for the pelts and organs. I want to try tanning hides, even if they do look awful, it would be better practice to start on these than to wait until I'm better and mess up tanning, plus it would kill some time between processing litters.

It seems to me a 3-4" knife is what I should be looking for, a par of garden clippers or some other sort of heavy duty cutters. We have pliers so I'm good on that and scissors, I'll more than likely get more things as I get more comfortable with doing it.

Also here's the link to the video I've been talking so much about. I also watched Grumpy's which gave me a new perspective, it was nice watching his as well and I plan to download both onto my laptop and hope it don't crash anymore. Here's the link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm5EeDx-LDE I like how well he shows the organs and where they are, and the way he goes about the bladder.

I don't have a phone >3< I'm probably the only teenager in my generation who prefers not having a cell phone. I don't like having to keep up with them, I constantly loose them it's ridiculous, plus I just don't care enough about having one lol

Sounds good! There is one video where the person uses scissors for everything so a knife is somewhat optional as well ;) The video you linked to is the one I used when I first got started... I have a feeling I have a hybrid of it and Grumpys for my process. I should go back and rewatch each, just out of curiosity and as a refresher.

It is nice to get a good look at organs so you have a general idea of what is normal and what's not. I have had two does that each had their own reproductive issues and in each one I found a small cyst/tumor in their reproductive tract. The first one I would have easily missed without prior knowledge to what things *should* look like, the second that I just did last night was far more obvious. You can only learn so much through pics and videos - experience will teach you a lot! Don't worry if it's not perfect the first time... like anything else, it takes practice.

I have a feeling you a better off in a lot of ways without a phone... props to you on that one ;) I only have a basic phone and my parents and DH keep bugging me to get a smart phone, but it's not worth it for me right now. Sure, GPS would be nice every now and then, but I have made it OK so far (with a couple SOS calls to DH to get me out of a bind when the paper directions were incorrect :oops: )
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

BunnyBucks: 7,102.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:51 pm

I always google maps and right down my own directions lol. My mom says I act older than her, I only use my simple basic laptop. No fancy Windows 10 because I can't operate windows >3< I'm the least technologically advanced person my age and I'm proud to say so. Seeing people glued to screens all the time kills me. Like my mom texts while driving, I'm like omg stop! I take her phone from her and text for her, no way am I dying lol.
@Happydalerabbits on Facebook :)

Slovenia
BunnyBucks: 1,050.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Nika » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:14 am

All of you are talking about Grumpy`s video and I can`t find it anywhere. A little help please?

Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:00 am

Nika wrote:All of you are talking about Grumpy`s video and I can`t find it anywhere. A little help please?

Not hard to find, Nika. It's stickied right at the top of the Meat Rabbit forum. :)
learning-aid-for-usda-protocol-processing-video-t18360.html
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Slovenia
BunnyBucks: 1,050.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Nika » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:22 am

Wow, that`s the video I˙ve been looking for and couldn˙t find it anywhere :oops: I wanted to show my "butcher" the tail trick as I call it, since he was having a hard time getting the last bit of intestines (anus with a few poops :D ) out and I didn`t know excatly how it is done.

Thank you for help :) And thanks to grumpy for sharing his methods :)

Previous